RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Runaway boat

Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Chazsml

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Runaway boat

Hi all. New to RC and having trouble with control. I keep losing contact w boat. Takes off and goes 30 feet then stops. Some sporadic contact but boat goes further away and eventually no contact. Fetch via jet ski. Upon picking the boat out of the water the engine goes full throttle. I dragged it in on jet ski with stern in water so not to burn out engine got to dock and disconnected batteries safely. What is going on? I don't have any other 2.4 ghz devices around and live in a remote area. I've had one successful run of about 3 minutes. Then boat and control are non responsive. I have an Aquacraft UL1 Superior 2 4200 grim racer batteries . Seems like interference. I have Wi if in the house but it's about 300 feet from dock. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 AM
mfr02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Runaway boat

2.4GHz is supposedly immune to interference, but I was told that a couple of clubs in the UK have a problem with nearby telecomms masts swamping model signals.
If its losing signal, where is the RX aerial?  Its pretty much line of sight, anything in the way that can block a signal, will.
Another possible is a bad power connector.  The batteries might be in great condition, but there might be an uncertain connection on the way to the RX.  If that loses power, effectively the signal is lost and everything has to restart.
During recovery, was the TX left switched on?  Was it throttled back?  What sort of ESC is fitted?  Just curious because of the motor running when taken out of the water.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 AM
doby
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Next time it happens, let the boat sit for a few seconds and try the arming procedure for the speed controller, if you can hear the beeps, and then the boat functions again for a short time, then it sounds like a problem that happened on the 1st generation controllers, the capacitors went bad. Adding a new capactior will fix the problem. Theres a thread on OSE about it somewhere....
Old 01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Chazsml

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks. It's a 60 amp Aquacraft brushless ESC. When I recovered the boat yes the controller was powerered on and unmanned. Odd that it happened when I picked it up out of the water. It stopped and started a few times. Then continued. So I held the stern in the water back to the dock
Old 01-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Chazsml

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Doby. I'll call Aquacraft support tomorrow to see if my controller falls into this problem.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 AM
blizard05

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What radio are you using? Also when starting TX 1st on,then RX. When done RX off,then TX off. If you turn off your TX before the RX motor will keep runing
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Tombsy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Probably a dumb question but do you have fresh batteries in the transmitter? My Tactic radio doesn't have any kind of low voltage indicator.
Has the receiver ever been wet?
And as mentioned by doby look closely at the cap if it's even slightly bulged at the top or leaking brown stuff change it out.
One other thing is check for cold solder joints on the motor bullet connectors.