Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spray Can Method

Hi,
    I don't have access to a spray gun however I am quite good at using spray cans to get a real professional looking paint job. I have read the forums on painting and it seems that you want automotive paint. I ONLY have access to spray can method. My real question is what kind of spray paint can be used that comes in a can. i.e. duplicolor, or the polyurethane based nonautomotive paint. Could someone advise me that way.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Spray Can Method

Let's narrow it down. What power is in the boat? Electric or sail, use just about anything. Nitro or gas is another story. Top Flite makes a fuel-resistant spray paint that can take higher percentage nitro than advertised the longer it cures. The colors are limited and the shine isn't that glossy but the clear gloss top-coat does help.
    For gas boats I've heard of using Krylon in the spray bomb but haven't tried it myself.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    This is a Gas boat, hull was built in China.
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i tried some minwax brand spar urethane spray foo foo can on something i painted just a small area. i doused a rag in nitro and then gasoline 2 seperate times and rubbed all i could muster and it didnt touch it. its suppose to not yellow under the sun too. you probably could get away with any color then  shoot a few coats of that over it and have a good finish safe from elements and fuels.
    if you dont know you better ask somebody ! usarmy active 1989-1997, 1990 desert sheild /desert storm, 1993 somolia .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike,

I agree with Ron. Top Flite makes some paint that is fuel proof, up to a point. (15% I believe) It works well with glow power engines. If you are using gasoline, well, your best bet is to use duplicolor or similar. Follow it up with clearcoat and let it dry thouroughly. I would encourage you to experiment a bit with some scrap material prior to painting your model. It is much better to do it once than to do it once, sand it down and do it again.

Pete
    I\'\'\'\'m sorry Spanky, I have to live my own life- Alfalfa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think that Top Flite lists 15% nitro just to be on the safe side. I've got a field box that's been hit with everything up to 65% and didn't faze the paint a bit.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it's plastic or already painted,don't use laquer based paint.
    America home of the free,thanks to the brave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm probably wrong doing this, buy I use engine paint and a good clear coat, have never had any trouble, but I use Gas not sure how nitro would react.

I painted this with rattle can, No clear coat yet. And a few touch up places still need to be fixed.

Oh it's being donated to a local cancer fund, so that's the reason for the pink paint job.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Most auto parts places that mix auto paint can put almost any automotive paint into a spray can.Can also put in some metal flake and the can has a nice fan spray nozzle.In my area NAPA auto parts store does this,but it is a little more expensive than regular on shelf auto paints.