Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New guy with a 25 year old boat kit!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New guy with a 25 year old boat kit!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:43 PM
caddydaddy472

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with a 25 year old boat kit!

Hi all,
I was given a Steve Muck Spartan Streaker hull and all (I think) of the parts needed to make it complete. It's 39" with a 12" beam, with a Futaba radio system, anda K&B 7.5 (.45 cu in) engine. Theorignal owner paid $667 in 1987 for all of this, but never did anything with it.He gave it tome in hopes that I would at least get it running!
Iused to fly nitro R/C planes, but boats are a whole new thing to me! I asked a few local hobby shops about what the best way to go about assembling this beast would be. They weren't much help other thanto suggest going online. The instruction manual for this boat is a whopping 3 pages! Are there any good books orwebsites about where to place the fuel tank, mount servos, etc?

Here's a few pics of what I have:

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: New guy with a 25 year old boat kit!

Wow, you got a whole 3 pages? I've seen worse as Aeromarine gives you just a 1 page blueprint.
OK, you've got some old stuff there but it appears to be in new condition.
Where to start.
With the fuel tank we don't use the clunks like you're probably used to, just hard lines bent, one to the vent on the top of the tank then I like to put the fuel pick-up line in the rear right side on mono's. The stopper will face the engine.
The Octura Humm-Dinger motor mount weighs a ton. Once you've gotten the holes drilled and tapped you can cut the channel that runs below the engine off to lose a few ounces.
Rotate the carb so that you can get better access to the throttle arm when you hook up the linkage.
It's hard to see what you're lacking with the stuff in the box yet but I'm guessing a lot. I don't see a radio box.
You do have a good start so far as the Muck Spartan was a hot boat in its day, along with the K&B .45. Today though is another story but it'll make a great fun boat.
You'd be better off trying to find someone in your area to help you assemble it all as it's a lot of work for a new boater but one with experience could whip it together on no time.
The radio system may be out-dated being 20 years old as it's no longer FCC legal.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:24 PM
caddydaddy472

Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing you don't use the clunker pick ups like in planes, because boats don't go inverted (usually!)? It does have 2 x 8 ounce tanks. Should those be mounted up forward?

I did notice that the motor mount does weigh a lot! More than the motor! That's a great tip to hack it up to cut some weight out.
I didn't take a picture of everything that it came with, there's a ton of small hardware pieces, a Sullivan starter with some belts,the rudder system,brasstwo bladeprop,and there is a fiberglass radio box with a clear cover. Ican inventory it all if that'll help with what else I will need to get.

The radio is a Futaba FP-T2L running on 75.470 MHz. I was wondering as well if that is still a useable or legalfrequency.

I have read that this boat was good for it's day, but not by todays standards. I'm just looking for a fun boat to play with, and hopefully this won't be too challenging to operate.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's easier to plumb up a 12 oz. tank than to use two 8 ouncers as even with 12 oz. onboard will give you a lot of runtime.
I really wouldn't worry about the FCC tracking you down as they've got bigger fish to fry than just an RC boater.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Dan S

Caddy,
75.470 is channel #64 for surface models,
you are good to go.

Dan.