Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newb saying Hi and looking for advice on first boat purchase?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Newb saying Hi and looking for advice on first boat purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Fraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb saying Hi and looking for advice on first boat purchase?

Well as the title says I'm a newb to the forum so Hi Everyone

fSo I'm looking into purchasing my first R/C boat, I recently moved next to a park with a 2 Acre lake and have seen people with R/C boats and I though it might be something fun for my son and I to do. After a little research I've decided I want a electric RTR boat, my question is being the pond isn't the cleanest water (some alge and lilly pads and generaly dirty water) Is there a certan type of boat I should stay away from? Any particular style recommended? Any advice suggestions are welcome

Thanks in Advance Guys

Old 05-06-2012, 12:26 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Newb saying Hi and looking for advice on first boat purchase?

If you need to navigate lily pads then something with good control and reverse and probably not so much performance that you cant avoid trouble.  Think tugs, fishing boats.  Avoid "Full 4 function, forward, backward, left, right" as typically these are all or nothing controllers.  They are usually the cheapest as well, because of all the money the manufacturer saved by fitting a really cheap radio and control system.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Rich404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newb saying Hi and looking for advice on first boat purchase?

Hi Welcome to the forums....

An airboat should be able to run over all that yucky stuff without it getting stuck out on the lake. As MFR suggested a slower boat like a tug or fishing boat can help you avoid the stuff that you can see like lili pads. Airboats will help you with the stuff that you can't see if the water is as bad as you describe. . Also, being that there are people running boats there introduce yourself to them and see what they suggest for that lake. If they are successful with a certain type of boat then this should help with your choices.

-Rich.