Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: K&B 3.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

K&B 3.5

I just rebuilt a K&B 3.5 outboard. Is the prop drive dog supposed to slip on the output shaft or do I need a new drive shaft/output shaft? I have the K&B lock nut and the "shock tubing" installed. I'm not new to engines but I am new to the K&B 3.5 outboard.

Thanks,
    Bill
    If it ain\'\'\'\'t broke, don\'\'\'\'t fix it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: K&B 3.5

HEY JERRY!
    I'm trying to remember as it's been a while since I worked on one. It seems like one model used a set screw and another was a press fit. If it's sloppy then it needs a thrust washer. I've used the ones from Octura and Aeromarine as they're easier to get than anything from K&B/MECOA.
    Their schematic isn't any help but in a line drawing it shows a set screw but not in the exploded view, http://www.mecoa.com/kb/89/8907-exp.pdf .
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes they are meant to slip on and off to replace the trust washer which goes between output shaft housing and the dog drive , the dog drive should have 2 allen set screws to tighten against the output shaft , i recommend a little loctite on each for vibration purposes. the thing you want to watch for is wear in the housing keep it well lubed with water proof grease and a well balanced prop or you are going to go through alot of output shafts , i found out the hard way , i have a k&b 7.5 outboard motor on a prather lap cat 2. well best of luck hope that was helpfull

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This link should also help you: http://www.mecoa.com/kb/89/8907-exp.pdf

Dan.
    F-41 Stryker Cat 260 Full Mod - Whiplash GV NFS 260 - FireFighter 18 - Miss Vegas CVRM 18
    Futaba FASST