Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

solar powered rc boat ?

Hello every one,

I am new to the forum and had a more specific question. I am building a solar powered rc boat and need help picking a motor out but it has to be very very efficient and be able to be powered off of 6 volts or 12 solar cells. it does not have to go fast but I would like it to have some low end power (meaning it can handle the weight of the panel

thank for all you help in advance

cheers
    >>

RE: solar powered rc boat ?

What solar cells, exactly?

You're going to assemble the pannel yourself from individual cells?

Any ideas on what the finished size of the pannel will be as far as Lenght, Width?
    John KaBang

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trying to build something like this? http://www.solarenergy.net/News/1964...n-germany.aspx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Calinucrew,

To answer this question we really need a rough idea of the size of the model.

Based on my experience with BEAM robots and solar cells, for a 6 volt solar power array I'm guessing you're going to need at least 20 square inches of surface just to hit 150 mA at peak sunlight. For direct drive, that limits your options a lot - If you want to just chug along slowly, you could use a pair of high efficiency pager motors with custom gearboxes... but then you will need to build your hull from light foam, and (because it will be top heavy) you'll need a very low drag catamaran or trimaran hull. It's an interesting project. I'd love to hear more about your idea.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the idea is to use foam and make it in to a catamaran the size is not that big of a deal.

can you please expand on pager motors with custom gearboxes or an off the shelf solution?