Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

K&B 3.5

Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Ram Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B 3.5

I just rebuilt a K&B 3.5 outboard. Is the prop drive dog supposed to slip on the output shaft or do I need a new drive shaft/output shaft? I have the K&B lock nut and the "shock tubing" installed. I'm not new to engines but I am new to the K&B 3.5 outboard.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: K&B 3.5

HEY JERRY!
I'm trying to remember as it's been a while since I worked on one. It seems like one model used a set screw and another was a press fit. If it's sloppy then it needs a thrust washer. I've used the ones from Octura and Aeromarine as they're easier to get than anything from K&B/MECOA.
Their schematic isn't any help but in a line drawing it shows a set screw but not in the exploded view, http://www.mecoa.com/kb/89/8907-exp.pdf .
Old 06-17-2012, 07:29 PM
frank haydu

yes they are meant to slip on and off to replace the trust washer which goes between output shaft housing and the dog drive , the dog drive should have 2 allen set screws to tighten against the output shaft , i recommend a little loctite on each for vibration purposes. the thing you want to watch for is wear in the housing keep it well lubed with water proof grease and a well balanced prop or you are going to go through alot of output shafts , i found out the hard way , i have a k&b 7.5 outboard motor on a prather lap cat 2. well best of luck hope that was helpfull
Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Dan S

This link should also help you: http://www.mecoa.com/kb/89/8907-exp.pdf

Dan.