Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

replacement for 540 motor???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

replacement for 540 motor???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacement for 540 motor???

I have a old RC boat, 19 inches and I am pretty sure a 540 brushed motor. The motor dimensions are Diameter=36mm, length=52mm and a 3.17mm or 1/8 inch shaft. I am not familiar with the conversions for the motors descriptions that are out there. The boat runs on 7.2v and has the old reostat type speed control. I am sure the motor is burned out and the speed controller is almost junk. I woud like to replace both with original type equipment. So, anyone have or know where I might find the motor and maybe the speed controller and just what motor should I be looking at with what specs? I don`t really want to convert to brushless, that would cost probably more that the boat is worth. I was thinking I should be able to find a motor for like $10 or so. What do you guys advise?

Thanks,
Old 07-02-2012, 08:13 AM
ROMA-F1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: replacement for 540 motor???

a motor less of [ 10 dollar],impossible,minimum cost for a motor titan 35 up,only the motor
Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Apismelifera

I had a plastic boat with a resistor speed control. After four years, the speed control fried and I replaced it with another resistor speed control. Then later, we went to an Electronic Speed Control or ESC and what a difference. I now have fully proportional forward and reverse, and longer runtimes from the same 7.2V NiCad battery. With the ESC that's in there now I can go to a 7 cell pack or 8.4V if I want to.

You can try searching for a replacement Resistor control but they have largely dissapeared. The other thing to remember about those is that the value of the resistor is factory matched to the specific electrical characteristics of the motor they put in. If you replace the resistor with one that is higher in restance than original then you'll see that nothing much happens till you get near full throttle then your boat takes off at near top speed. From there you an ease off and slow down but it you ease off too much the motor will stall and you have to repeat the process to get going again. If the replacement has less restance then you loose some low speed functionality. An ESC won't care what you got in there for a motor, as long as the ESC can handle the current your motor draws you're all set. Get yourself an ESC and you'll wonder why you didn't convert years ago.

Try a google search on: Graupner Speed 500E and: Mtronics Viper 15. These are both sold all over.

Have a look at these links to start.

http://www.v-eastonline.com/products...EED-500-E.html

http://www.mtroniks.net/details1.asp...g-and-Play.htm

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42536.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1777833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90289.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1777834  
Old 07-02-2012, 09:28 AM
skylane42

Graupner Speed 500E - I could not tell from the ad, is this a brushed motor? Looks good otherwisse.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, it's brushed.  
Big giveaway on the ad page is where it says "brushless class motors" in the navigation area.  
Brushless usually quote a "KV" number, shout "Brushless", and say things like "sensorless" or "sensored", and probably "inrunner" or "outrunner"
The Graupner motor is probably overkill, there are lower priced alternatives, such as this - http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...a-re540_1.html

Since my search engine turns up UK mainly, you might want to do your own search, but the numbers in the spec on the link will be in the area that you are probably looking for.  Beware of the over-excitable vendors who think everybody needs a souped up motor.  These invariably need a hotter ESC, and quite possibly the hull would not handle the extra power.  Incidentally, what type of boat is it?  What kind of prop?  While the standard spec motor will probably be just fine, knowing what might be expected from it helps cut the guesswork.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Apismelifera

ORIGINAL: skylane42

Graupner Speed 500E - I could not tell from the ad, is this a brushed motor? Looks good otherwisse.
Yes its a brushed motor. A good match for the Viper 15, which is made for brushed motors.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:13 PM
diy-pro

12000 rpms is really low right? How many turns is a graupner 500e? Im doing some newbie work with brushed motors as well and have 2 550 size and 3 maybe 700 size motors to put in a 28 inch cat running twin counter rotating props but the stock speed sounds slow when i test them. im thinking im going to rewind them to 15-18 turns and test it with the esc i have.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Apismelifera

The Speed 500E is 12000 RPM at nominal voltage and no load. Nominal for this motor is listed as 12 Volts. What voltage are you running it at? Also too a new motor won't give peak performance till the brushes wear in a little.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 PM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Find yourself a 14 turn motor on ebay with a 432 prop on a lipo- 7.2 and have fun.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:24 PM
diy-pro

I'm going to be using 7.2 v with the cheapo esc I got from China. There's a similar esc that takes up to 14.8 or something like that on eBay and I'm curious if its the same one because of the look. I have photos in my post "320a brushed esc" in the speed electric forum. Not having high V's makes me sad and as soon as I can afford it I'm going to get a better one so I can see the full potential of my build and mikes right that lipo will get that brushed motor kicking. I'm going to be using 2 1500 mah nicds, 1x 2000 mah nimh and a 3800 mah nimh all 7.2v paralleling them will hopefully give the 2 550 motor I have some good juice
Old 12-18-2012, 09:22 AM
wan6176

even tamiya motor cost more den 10 dollar.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Go over to hobby-sports.com and see what Rex and Lee have in the used parts bins. Seeing how a lot of the RC car and truck guys are going over to brushless motors they ought to be just about giving brushed motors away. See if they have any cheap ESC's in those parts bins also.
If you're in no big hurry, wait for your swap meet in February to get what you need!

I've still got your e-mail address saved so when spring hits we'll have to hit a lake. When you invited me a few months ago the weather was getting bad so I didn't show up as I didn't know if you and your buddies are crazier than me or not!

Maybe I can set you up with some props also as I've still got a lot of ones that fit smaller shafts.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 AM
skylane42

Don`t need a motor anymore. Sold the boat.. thanks