Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Max Volts for Brushed motors

Hi, I just bought a old Kyosho boat with a brushed speedgem 17T motor in it. I am going to replace the micro on/off switch for the motor with a ESC. I fly airplanes and was thinking about just using my 3C 11.1v lipos in the boat. A friend told me that the 11.1v thru the esc would burn the motor up. So with that said, what would be the max volts I could use with the motor without damaging it? The previous owner said I could double up a 7.2 nicad pack to put out 14v using the micro switch, true?????

I also have the original Kyosho AquaSpeed Maarine 18 for it.

Thanks for your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Max Volts for Brushed motors

Those motors are rated at 7.4 volts max.

http://www.trinityrc.net/shop/index....ry&path=72_114

You can go higher in voltage but you're going to shorten the life of the motor. Putting on a smaller prop or one with less pitch will take some of the load off the motor allowing you to run it at a higher voltage. If you go that route then you need to monitor the motor temperature, that will tell you if you're working the motor too hard. In general, if you run it full speed for 1 minute, and can't hold you finger on it for more than 3 seconds then the motor is working too hard. At which point you would reduce voltage or put on a smaller prop.

Consider these if you want to go to 3 cell Lipo

http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Tita..._p/tra1585.htm
    John KaBang

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Max Volts for Brushed motors

The previous owner said I could double up a 7.2 nicad pack to put out 14v using the micro switch, true?????
    True.  But keep in mind what Apismelfera said about cooking the motor.  The increased current might also cook the microswitch rapidly, as well.