Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Newbie to boats

Sorry, very new to the hobby. Had cars as a kid and still have 1 car I like to mess with. I'm wanting to get into the boats but honestly don't have a clue about anything or even where to get started. Anyone know of any clubs or get togethers in the Louisville, KY area? A friend of mine wastrashing an old boat he had as a kid and gave it to me. Not sure if it's worth attempting to fix or not. I'll try an post pics once I figure this forum thing out. Thanks for any help!
    ~Nick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Newbie to boats

Lets see it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry, they aren't very good. But this is what I got so far... It's made out of wood. I assume mostly balsa??? It's just the hull, but seems to be watertight and pretty well made and overall 34 inches long... He said it used to be gas but he wasn't sure of all the specifics. He was going to throw it in the garbage so I saved it for now. Not sure if it's worth messing with or not. Thoughts???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh14750.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	1789508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gc91337.jpg 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	1789509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jv14667.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	1789510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca52282.jpg 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	1789511  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Woah buddy thats big lol. Mmmm looks like dollar signs to restore it. You looking to make it electric or just pondering? You could get a decent size brushless motor but it takes money to get a system with that kinda power.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL. Well I wasn't sure. Just thought it might be worth a shot and a cool project. I'm just pondering what to do with it. Like I said, I have not the 1st clue where to get started. I think electric would be easier but that's just my assumption. Maybe it's best to just start fresh and buy a new boat hull and go from there. LOL.
    Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can tell you something about that boat. It's a Dumas model of the Atlas Van Lines U-70/71 from the early 70s. It originally had a vacuum formed cockpit and nose cowl, both gone per what I can see. Someone tried to build a nose cowl for it, nothing close to scale in this case. You can order a 1/8 scale color sheet for it from Newton Marine that will show you how the boat "should" look that can be scaled down to fit your boat's size. There are several color sheets that apply to this particular hull so I'm including the address so you can look at them all. The address is http://www.newtonmarine.com/plans.ph...=11&category=5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great!  Thanks for the info.  I don't want to sink a ton of $$$ into it but I think it will be a cool project if I can figure out how to do it.  I've wanted to get into boats for awhile but there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasim around my part of town.  The local shops carry a couple boats but nothing much.  Thanks again for the help! 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those are mahogany hulls, not balsa and very heavy. Like was said, restoring it will not be cheap, probably the reason why the previous owner trashed it.
    In your area you can find some clubs in www.impba.net .
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey peeps...got a few ?'s...first off will the props at hobbyking.com fit the shaft on the motley crew?....and also will any of the metal props from aquacraft fit that shaft with no problems?...looking at the l40 57 3 blade prop...how much better performance and speed will that prop give me?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey peeps...few ?'s i hope u can answer..first off will all the props at hobbyking fit the shaft on the motley crew?....and will all the metal props from aquacraft fit it no problem to?...was looking at the copper 3 blade lifter prop by them...how much better performance will that give me and will it give me more speed then the stock prop?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Coolguy, that's uncool asking that question in this thread as you've already asked it in another. I answered your question there.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rustler53

Sorry, very new to the hobby.Â* Had cars as a kid and still have 1 car I like to mess with.Â* I'm wanting to get into the boats but honestly don't have a clue about anything or even where to get started.Â* Anyone know of any clubs or get togethers in the Louisville, KY area?Â* A friend of mine wasÂ*trashing an old boat he had as a kid and gave it to me.Â* Not sure if it's worth attempting to fix or not.Â* I'll try an post pics once I figure this forum thing out.Â* Thanks for any help!Â*
    ~Nick
    We have a club in Sellersburg. Quad Counties RC Boat club. Our pond is in Sellerburg tight next to I-65. We'll be there tomorrow afternoon running boats. Stop by if you want to and bring your boat. We probably won't be there much more. This year. PM if you need more info.
    Black Cat Racing

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/profile.cfm?section=gallery&memid=25746

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nick, I would contact Quad Counties. I was there for a fun run last summer and loved the site. The guys that I met were great, very knowledgable and helpful. I'm hoping to run with them again in the future

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you try to restore it, need to do it in Nitro.
    Boat's hull is big and heavy, and not enough room for battery if restore in brushless electric.
    John from FastRCBoat.com