Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Building my first RC boat (DT project)

Hi there,

I am aiming to design and build a RC nitro boat. I have already got the engine & setup from a RC nitro car (hobeo hyper 7) which I am going to work around.

I have come across a problem in which I have come here to get your help.

How do you connect the driveshalf to the propella and make it water sealed?

To make it more clear, I must make a hole within the hull for the drive shalf to exit. How do I ensure water does not get into this hole?

Cheers in advance,

Jamie.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It's run through a brass tube just a hair larger than the shaft or cable that you're using then filled with a waterproof grease.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
    It's run through a brass tube just a hair larger than the shaft or cable that you're using then filled with a waterproof grease.
    Thanks for the response, do you have a picture to make it more clear?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Unfortunately, no. I'm in the process of moving pictures and videos over from my old computer tower to another one but still may not have what you're looking for.
    I only use flexible cables now as I'm spoiled on them. You'd be using a 3/16" cable for your engine so you'd then need a 1/4" ID piece of brass tubing for your stuffing box.
    Hopefully you're going to be installing it into a low-profile deep-vee hull. That would keep the heat sinks up in the cool air and you can remove a few of the top sinks otheriwse the engine can't get up to the proper operating temperature. I've done a lot of .12 powered boats in my time but what you're doing is basically the same thing. When I started doing them there really wasn't much around for small-block nitro boats but in over the years it's gotten easier. I've found that some RC car and truck engines work better than others as it has a lot to do with the intake and exhaust timing.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team