Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Used stuff vs New stuff, Looking for 3 ch 'work' boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Used stuff vs New stuff, Looking for 3 ch 'work' boat

Old 05-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Boatdude85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used stuff vs New stuff, Looking for 3 ch 'work' boat

Hey all, new to boating, but used to be into model/RC planes and stuff.

Im looking at an old Futaba (from the 80's) boat deal, 3 channel, boat is just an old fiberglass job, not finished, no motor just the hull. About $35-40.00. I have asked if the batteries still charge? What the range is.

Looks like I would try to use an old 12 v motor from a drill, I would have to buy a shaft, prop, rudder, etc. I am using to tow a fishing line out 100 yards or so from shore.

Just wondering, after I get done with this, if I would not be better off buying a ''Chinese Special'', or go with this old gear. For $35.00 it wouldn't be a bad deal if the radio works. Batteries might need to be upgraded though.

But, a prop and rudder, shaft looks like about $30.00 right there if lucky off ebay. Then I would need a motor controller and hope it works with the motor I've got, old 12V Drill motor.

I can PM the craigslist add while its still up for the boat if you like.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If your up to the task of putting it all together and making it work then no harm in buying older gear (as long as it all works as it should) and doing a build with other parts you salvage. You may well end up with something better suited to your application. If you just want to get out there then it might save you some time (and possibly money in the long run - budgets never hold!!) to buy something RTR.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Boatdude85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its just a fiberglass hull, probably 15+ years old. What stuff does it need? What is the rundown on parts? I dont think it even has a rudder.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you only have a hull and are not sure about what to add to complete the boat then it might be a good first step to buy a commercially built boat and perhaps modify that to suit. You will see what is there and learn some of the in's and outs. It is not so much that it is super hard to put together a boat from the parts - just that it helps to know what components go with what to make it all work (and to avoid spending more than you need to - or less). I am not well prepared to offer advice on individual components for an electric - has been 25 years since I built my last electric and I am sure that advice is long out dated.

Hopefully someone might chime in with a reputable parts supplier for a project of your scale.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:14 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The problem with old radio gear is that the standards regarding channel bandwidth have changed over the years. An older outfit might not play well with somebody else's outfit in the same band. But basic modern gear is now low priced enough that it is very much worth considering. When you can get a multi channel 2.4GHz receiver for less than the cost of a pair of crystals for a 27MHz outfit, the new looks very attractive.
If the batteries are original, they will almost certainly need replacement. An RTR is usually built down to a price, your own build will more likely be built up to a quality that you decide, and if you build it from parts that you sourced, you will know where to get spares from, should the need arise. In your list of parts, add the motor coupler - you need something to connect motor and shaft.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Futaba only made one boat that I know of and it had a plastic hull, that was way back in the mid-`90's. It just may be that somebody put some Futaba decals on it.