Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Crackerbox setup problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Crackerbox setup problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:06 PM
tyro185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crackerbox setup problem

Hello all,

I'm not all that familiar with RC boats as I Fly RC planes mostly but I didI build a 1/8" scale Crackerbox boat some 8 years ago and was disappointed with it's performance at that time so it has been sitting in the garage ever since.
I have retrieved the boat out of the garage the other day and have given the boat are clean and now would like to see if I can make it run properly, so I'm hoping one of you guys out there that are clued up on RC boats maybe be able to point me in the right directed as to what the problem may be.

The problem with the boat is that it's all noise and no go, engine runs well but you place the boat it in the water and it basically just sits there.

Like I have said, it's at 1/8 scale which is 2 foot long and has one of those early 1980's Thunder Tiger 20 marine engines as power. It has one of those flexible prop shafts that exits out the bottom of the hull and goes out past the stern by about 2 inches. I can't see any numbers on the prop for it's size but was recommended to me from a RC boat supplier, but it looks to me about 11/4" in diameter.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards Steve.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The first thing to do is to check the driveline for anything slipping at the collet or drive dog.
OK, assuming that's not the problem, the prop is slipping. I'm also kind of assuming that you're just setting it in the water. Try giving it and underhand toss to help get it going if the prop is cavitating.
The prop size might be on the hub of the prop. It might say something like X-440 on it.