Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New to RC

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Enron210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC

So long story short I was given a Dumas hull. Not knowing how much power to start with or what to even power it with, I figured I should ask before I go spend a load of money. The hull is 45" long and 14" wide at the rear. Your input will be a huge help. Sorry for the links to the photos. Resizing on my phone wasn't happening.

http://imgur.com/nYvTeKY.jpg
http://imgur.com/PPP.jpg
http://imgur.com/Ojmi7fA.jpg
Old 10-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess those shots are big! I thought that I'd have to put them on my big TV! Just a guess but it might be the DV 60 being 45" long. Those hulls were made in 10, 20, 40 and 60 sizes, the bigger ones like the 40 and 60 had the "deck vents" where the real boats had windows that opened.Yes, it would cost a lot of money to do it right as .45 and .61 nitro engines aren't cheap anymore. If it has 5" engine rails installed then gas power may be an option.Only the first picture showed up for me.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:10 AM
Enron210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ron, thanks for the response. It just so happens that this is a virgin hull. There is 0 hardware in or on this boat. So if that helps my cause, great. I'm not sure if it matters but this hull is 100 percent fiberglass.

Last edited by Enron210; 10-05-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone who's been around RC boats for any time has probably had a Dumas hull, I've had at least 3 of them over the years.I wouldn't use the Dumas hardware though as it never really was any good, thirty years ago maybe but not today.Any way that you go it won't be cheap. I laughed at one guy who brought one to an Internat's race as it just wasn't one that you'd think of for such a big race. The weather was junk there with winds and choppy water but that boat didn't have any problems when the "racing" hulls couldn't handle it.You're undertaking a big project there as nothing is cheap anymore to finish the hull, especially powerplants. A cheap gas engine would be ideal for that boat kept stock and still give you some decent speed. Places like www.zippkits.com have package deals on their already good prices that can save you even more money.