Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Beginning in Boat Building

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Beginning in Boat Building

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Kamilkaze13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning in Boat Building

Hello.

The other day i was looking at boat building and im looking to buy and build a scale rc boat. I want something that looks like a yatch or sportfishing boat. Something like this: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/dum/dum1205.htm but not that expensive. I am looking for a kit with no electroncics. Is it hard to build a boat? I have no experience in boat building but a very handy dad so difficulty not too much of a problem. What would i need apart from the kit? My budget is about 80 canadian dollars for the kit only. Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:48 PM
blizard05

Check out the Dumas kits
Old 11-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Kamilkaze13

I checked out this one; http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=DUM1707 . What would i need to build it tools wise. Can i make this a running rc, its a static model. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:31 AM
Kamilkaze13

???
Old 11-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Micromodder

No that kit is designed to be a static model, it uses a solid block of balsa wood for the hull instead of having a open interior.

Dumas has a section for discounted boats on their website.
http://www.dumasproducts.com/index.p...gqt3ag4tqqs962

If you can wait then this might be a good option but its not on the market yett
http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...oducts_id=1132
Old 11-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Kamilkaze13

I guess ill just wait. The sportfisherman one is the the one. What else would i need apart from the motor, ESC and servos. A prop? Or does it come with the prop and the shaft and everything? And thanks a lot.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Dumas hardware is known to be "bargain basement" quality. I would check with Mack Products when it comes to running gear and such. If you were to start with the larger 31" Trojan Cruiser, Mack has a hardware package already set up for it that is much higher quality and includes pretty much everything needed except batteries and radio. It's practically "one stop shopping" to build that boat kit
Old 11-06-2014, 06:21 AM
Kamilkaze13

Ill check that out. Thanks
Old 11-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Kamilkaze13

Changed my mind about building a boat due to the difficulty to build and the price off my budget. I was looking through Hobbyking and saw this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_To_Sail.html . I really like this sailboat and doesn't seem too difficult to put together. The price is also great. What do you guys think? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:50 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

They do make into a nice sailing boat, but do need a lot of attention to reading the instructions. Maybe some face to face help from someone with experience of knowing which bit of string should go where. As provided, they will perform well as a personal pleasure boat, but ignore the "racing" claims in the advert. Be aware that you do need reasonably deep water to launch and retrieve, and that, being a one metre boat with a large rig and light weight, they are a light weather boat. Don't try it in winds over 10mph until after you get used to it. There is a big improvement thread over on rcgroups detailing things that can be done to turn it into a more capable boat.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:22 PM
w3bby

If you are now looking at sail then check out the Joysway Dragon Force RG65. This boat has good reviews, is a good size and designed to a racing class. Price point is very reasonable as well.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Kamilkaze13

And again im inspired to build my own boat. This time im going to try to build it out of foam board. Spent the money for the boat on a guitar so not much left to do now. Anyone have plans for something like the Trojan F31 or other type of pleasure boat.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:41 AM
canabus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy a lot of Hobbyking bits and very good pricing.
Quality is good.
I am into electric power boats but like the sailboat with electric motor.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:43 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamilkaze13
And again im inspired to build my own boat. This time im going to try to build it out of foam board. Spent the money for the boat on a guitar so not much left to do now. Anyone have plans for something like the Trojan F31 or other type of pleasure boat.
If looking for something simple that can be built on a budget, have a look here - http://eezebilt.co.vu/ - while the originals were all intended for balsa, there is no reason why foamboard could not be substituted. In the past few issues of Model Boats magazine, there have been several articles showing builds using it.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:20 PM
Dodgy Geezer

Originally Posted by mfr02
If looking for something simple that can be built on a budget, have a look here - http://eezebilt.co.vu/ - while the originals were all intended for balsa, there is no reason why foamboard could not be substituted. In the past few issues of Model Boats magazine, there have been several articles showing builds using it.

The EeZeBilts were originally starter kits designed to get beginners used to the techniques involved in model boat building. They were intended to be cheap simple small kits which built up into a good-looking boat using minimal tools - able to be built in a kids bedroom, kept on his shelf and sailed on the local pond.

I'd recommend making one up (they don't cost much) if you have never built a boat before - just to get the experience. The originals were very small - 11" to 17", but the Eezebilt site has a more modern set of designs which are better for R/C from 12" to 23". The plans are free downloads, and designed to be printed on A4 using a home printer. A lot of people make them bigger by printing them at A3 size (1.5x) or use a photocopier to go to 2x.

The Indians are doing a lot of EeZeBilt boats using foam board at the moment - here's a link to a 2x (28") EeZeBilt MERMAID build in foam board...

http://www.rcindia.org/boats/scratch...-mermaid-boat/