Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electronics question - Slowing down a boats propeller / speed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Electronics question - Slowing down a boats propeller / speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 02:34 PM
pauldub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronics question - Slowing down a boats propeller / speed

Hi, I am brand new to RC boats but I am sure this question is rarely asked, how to make a boat go SLOWER! I want to use a RC boat to drag along a sonar device for fishing (tennis ball sized device), however any of the boats available in the shops, that are entry level priced, are all designed to go as fast as possible, most of them with just one speed setting of MAX. I am wondering if its possible to slow them down. Wither its somehow to lower the voltage to the motor by soldering something on, or maybe messing with the prop (bigger or smaller or something). So has anyone got any ideas? Also if I was able to make the prop spin slower using electronic solution would that make the battery last longer? My aim is to have a slow and steady moving, much quieter boat, so I don't scare the fishies.
Thanks for your time and suggestions
Old 11-17-2014, 12:14 AM
w3bby

Something like this might be a solution then...
Old 11-17-2014, 03:14 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

If you only look in shops where the only thing on sale is racing toys, that is what you will see. As in w3bby's link, there are a great many fully controllable models around, but you might want to do a search for "bait boats". These are intended to carry and drop bait, but there is no reason whatsoever why one could not be adapted to your use. The go-fast bottom price toys are just that - while they can be modified, very often disassembling them equals almost destroying them, reassembly might take longer than making one to your requirements in the first place.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:09 AM
pauldub

Hi guys, thanks very much for your answers. I had a look at bait boats and the dedicated ones are 200-500 dollars. Also the tug boat says its street price is €329. I was hoping there was a way to get one of the cheap toy ones and just disable its speed some how, but knew it was a long shot.

But thanks to you guys I found one from china http://www.aliexpress.com/item/RC-BO...768444420.html thats a bit more in my price range. Again I've no idea what I'm really looking at and you get what you pay for but to me it seems that it will do the trick, the sonar is 100g and on other links on this site it says 350-500g load of bait. Anyone else have an opinion on this boat?
Old 11-17-2014, 03:36 PM
blizard05

A Springer tug from Zipp Kits , under $100 would work well There pics in the Scale boat section

Last edited by blizard05; 11-17-2014 at 03:39 PM.