Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

ESC strong enough to power a 40lb trolling motor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

ESC strong enough to power a 40lb trolling motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 02:12 PM
X1AaronW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC strong enough to power a 40lb trolling motor

I want to build a tugboat strong enough and large enough to tow my canoe with me in it. Basically just for fun and to say it's that strong. I have already considered buying plans from twotugboats.com but I want this to be my own design. It's gonna be big. I plan to hang a 40lb thrust trolling motor for propulsion (Not scale I know) and a 12 volt deep cycle battery but I have hit a problem. I don't know what kind of esc to use.i have considered the pro boats 50 amp but not sure it can handle it. Any recommendations?

Last edited by X1AaronW; 01-11-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:16 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

First thing is you need to know the amp draw under load. Then double that to give you a safety margin, and thats the number to look for. Just check the specs on your candidate to make sure it will handle 12 volts.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:53 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need a lot more motor spec info to determine.
Take an amp meter and perform this test and then as mentioned go with a higher rated ESC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S96DULhu-s
Also, some motors have internal circuits to regulate speed . If yours has this it would have to be by-passed/removed to operate properly.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:53 AM
X1AaronW

Alright I'll look into it some more.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Tombsy

Once you get the numbers you need, Servo city has some big esc's for robotics. Maybe something for the wheelchair motors that they use a lot.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:18 AM
X1AaronW

Alright I just checked a different forum for the amp draw on a 40lb trolling motor and someone said their 80lb trolling motor had a 40A draw with a 56A fuse. That tells me that a proboat 40A esc would be plenty good enough. Any thoughts?
Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by X1AaronW
Alright I just checked a different forum for the amp draw on a 40lb trolling motor and someone said their 80lb trolling motor had a 40A draw with a 56A fuse. That tells me that a proboat 40A esc would be plenty good enough. Any thoughts?
Well it doesn't matter what another motor did unless it's exactly like yours. Get a bucket/barrel of water,an ammeter , and determine what current your motor is drawing under load if you want to know exactly what esc to use.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:49 AM
X1AaronW

So not a good idea to get it in the Ballpark? I'll check just curious.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:18 AM
flyinwalenda

Well, we are trying to help but if you are unable to give us specific motor info or perform a current draw test then my opinion would be to go and buy the highest amperage brushed ESC you can find and use it.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:44 AM
X1AaronW

I'll get an amp draw and post what I find.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:44 AM
flyinwalenda

That's the best thing to do . Otherwise we are just guessing. No need to spend any more money than you need to on the ESC.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:51 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The important bit is "under load". Any motor will take a given amount of power to just turn itself over, the rest of the power draw is down to the load, in the case of a boat, this is determined by the prop in the water. Different sizes and configurations of prop will give different results, and the requirements for different types of performance means that there is a vast range of possible combinations. The only reliable way is to do empirical testing. Without an ammeter (and common ones are not usually rated above 10A) the simple down and dirty way is to power the motor direct from a battery with a fuse in circuit. Use higher values until you get the lowest value that doesn't blow.