Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rudder Angles. Help needed.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Rudder Angles. Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 03:30 AM
Vocal_Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder Angles. Help needed.

Hello, I'm new to this site and RC boats so please point me in the right direction if needed. I have recently been given an old RC boat, it was in bad shape, terrible water damage, cracks in the body left right and center and it was all faded and looked really bad. I took the job on to refurbish this said boat and I'm in the middle of designing the way I want it to look etc.
I have come across an issue which is confusing me slightly, when I first had the boat there was no rudder or shaft on it and looking into a rudder to purchase I noticed that if I put the rudder in center place it would be at a angle pointing towards the front of the boat. Is this correct? Or will I need some kind of attachment for the rudder :/ Any help at all will be appreciated. Thanks for helping me with uploading the photo! Here is the boat, as you can see at the back of the boat where i planned on putting the rudder, its at an angle, can i secure the rudder to this? what would you suggest? thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-for-rcuniverse.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2099740  

Last edited by Vocal_Hero; 05-31-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:28 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To post pics that are in your computer,first click on Edit Post at the bottom of your post,Then click on Go Advanced,scroll down to attachments and click on Manage Attachments.A box will come up,click on Add Files,then Select Files and you will select the files from your computer then click Upload Files.Drag the pic to the bottom area and then click done and you pic will be added.You can select multiple pics then click done.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:34 PM
Vocal_Hero

Hello there, thanks for the tip with the pictures, i have uploaded one now on my last post by editing it like you said If you could help that would be great.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Talk about a blast from the past. I haven't seen one of those in ages.
As for the rudder, you want it to be as close to vertical as possible. Does the hull have a hole through the bottom behind where the drive shaft exits?
Old 05-31-2015, 01:59 PM
Vocal_Hero

Really? I was just given it because it had its day! Didn't know how old it was to be honest. Ok I will have a look into getting the rudder vertical in whatever way and can. And yes the hole is closer to the back of the hull pointing slightly diagonally. I'm completely refurbishing this boat. Sorry for the late reply.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

I wouldn't call an hour a late reply. If you could post a shot of the bottom and one of the transom, it would be very helpful in seeing what you have to work with
Old 05-31-2015, 03:23 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i had a boat with an angled transom.It was an AMPS International Hobbies Formula 402 with an enclosed canopy.I had to make a shim to put under the strut bracket to make it vertical.I could have mounted the bracket without shimming ,but it looked weird.It had the tube coming out the transom and I made it a surface drive using an Octura strut mounted on an extended mount.The piece of wood was there to see how much it would need shimmed.The pics won't enlarge because they were copied from another site.
Attached Images    
Old 06-01-2015, 02:37 AM
Vocal_Hero

Ok here are the photos of the transom and belly. What I might do after seeing your boat, I'm currently desiging a 3D insert for my boat inplace of the cover that is on it currently. So I will try creating a Shim similar to yours and get it 3D printed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2099823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2099824   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2099825  
Old 06-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Hydro Junkie

From what I can tell, your boat had trim tabs as indicated by the outboard hole pairs and a center-line rudder. The upper big hole was probably for the rudder's push rod.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:07 AM
Vocal_Hero

Right I see, would the trim tabs be essential? If I made a shim to straighten out the angle for the rudder would that suffice? I guessed the larger hole was for the push rod from looking at other RC boats there is one other question I have which I may as well ask now rather than opening up a new thread. What brushless motor would you guys reccomend? The boat is 29" long and 8" wide, I'd like a water cooled motor and a motor with some guts! In worried I'll end up getting something that is not powerful enough or something. I was looking at a hobbyking 40mm but it seems really small compared to the boat itself. So any suggestions would be great!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:36 AM
canabus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hobbyking 3660Sl-2050 kv or 3660Sl-3180kv with a 120A ESC car or marine(get one that handles up to 7S).
Battery start with a 3S 5800mah 60C(because of the high motor wattage) and if you wish to go faster after you have the boat setup right.
You simply get a higher voltage battery.
Prop 37mm x 1.4 pitch 3 blade (code 215000032-0).
Check out the Hobbyking boats and the spares for what they run.
Also check on what their customers upgrade the boats with, it will get you a good starting base.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:08 AM
Vocal_Hero

Thats Excellent, Thanks a lot, Canabus. I'll check it out.