Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with converting Revell Destroyer to RC

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Help with converting Revell Destroyer to RC

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:00 PM
robert.thomas5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with converting Revell Destroyer to RC

For a long time now I have been wanting to convert one of the Revell HMS Campbeltown flush deck destroyer kits into an RC ship. My problem is that I haven't got the slightest idea on where to start with the components that I need. Now I'm good at electronics and assembly, the pieces are just an absolute mystery. They're going to have to be small since the kit is only 16 inches long and 2 inches across at its widest. If someone can just help me get started in the right direction it would be very much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dd131-01.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	2113007  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:45 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Whatever you use will need to be very light - a 1:240 scale model of a 1000 ton ship will need to weigh no more than 3 ounces to float correctly. Take the weight of the plastic used in the build and subtract that from the total, you then have a figure telling you what the weight of battery plus radio plus motor control plus steering servo plus working prop, shaft, tube and rudder can weigh. I suspect that some of the items might need to be lighter than air.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

micro servos to handle the rudder and drive system would be the place to start
Old 08-06-2015, 08:12 AM
robert.thomas5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where would I find those at? And how do I make sure that all of the different components I get will work together? Like are they all interchangeable?

Lets say I got this receiver: http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-120-gt3x-receiver.html

And this servo for my rudder: http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-a106.html

Would they work together? And is this the kind of servos and receiver I would need?
Old 08-06-2015, 01:13 PM
mfr02

Yes they will work together. Whether they would fit inside the hull and whether it would float the right end up with them inside are questions that need to be answered first.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:33 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mfr02
Yes they will work together. Whether they would fit inside the hull and whether it would float the right end up with them inside are questions that need to be answered first.
And that, in a nutshell, is going to be your challenge. It's very common to use small servos to drive a small model's props. The issue, with one as small as you're looking at is not going to be if they will fit but whether the total weight of three servos, the receiver and a battery pack will overload your model. You may be able to get away with using differential steering, using the props rather than a rudder, to save weight but it will cost some maneuverability to do so.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:02 PM
mfr02

I have a Lindberg minesweeper converted. In water ready condition, it weighs 14 oz. It is only a couple of inches longer, but is considerably wider and deeper than the small 4 stacker. The extra 11 oz makes a huge difference - I didn't have to lose any topsides plastic, and she sails well. I also have a Tuna boat from Lindberg. After fitting the running gear, that one was OK until I fitted the mast, when it became obvious that some low down ballast would be needed. On a 12 oz boat, this was possible. I feel that making a 3 oz boat work will need a lot of reworking the upper works to lose weight topsides.
Revell do have a knack for producing very nice display models that are not quite big enough for conversion to useful working models. Apart from the 1:72 Corvette, but they got that from Matchbox.