Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Prop advice for Lindberg Minesweeper

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Prop advice for Lindberg Minesweeper

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 08:39 PM
CaptBri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop advice for Lindberg Minesweeper

I'm doing a simple RC conversion of the old Lindberg Minesweeper plastic kit. All is going well, but having a tough time finding the right props. I have tried the Amati "display props" in 12mm L & R and they do work, but are quite inefficient. Tried heating them and thinning them while also increasing pitch but they tend to just melt and fall apart. I'd prefer the props to be 3 blade metal, but at this point I'm open to anything that is 1) durable and 2) reasonably efficient. Anyone know where I might pick up a left and right 12mm prop for this conversion? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Brian
Old 10-13-2015, 01:18 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I used the ones in the kit, epoxying them to the shafts (can't remember if I had to drill the bosses, it was a few years ago).
Should I feel the need, and if so inclined, I will be knocking some new ones up from brass sheet, and soldering them to the shaft ends. I downloaded some patterns from the late towboatjoes' website ( http://towboatjoe.tripod.com/shafts.htm ). They can be resized, printed on paper, pritted to the brass and cut out with tin snips and tidied up with a file before soldering and twisting the pitch in.
This does give 4 bladed props, but these are much easier to mark out and handle than 3.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:45 PM
CaptBri

Thanks much, appreciate the response. I may have to go with the kit props, but I'm worried about breaking. This particular model will be more of a "toy" to take boating and mess around with on the beach and around the kids. But no harm in starting with those I suppose! I thought about going the "make your own route" and while I am quite handy, soldiering has never been one of my strengths. But after looking at the link maybe I'll give that a shot too. Thanks again!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:07 PM
w3bby

Propshop UK....
Old 10-15-2015, 11:30 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptBri
Thanks much, appreciate the response. I may have to go with the kit props, but I'm worried about breaking. This particular model will be more of a "toy" to take boating and mess around with on the beach and around the kids. But no harm in starting with those I suppose! I thought about going the "make your own route" and while I am quite handy, soldiering has never been one of my strengths. But after looking at the link maybe I'll give that a shot too. Thanks again!
This type of soldering is the easiest - just remember that all the metal surfaces to be joined need to be burnished just before applying flux, then tinned, offered together and sweated. The "trick" is to use a big (and hot) enough iron with a small enough tip while ensuring that everything is clean.
Other methods are used involving making a brass boss and fixing blades to that, but if you are after looks like that, as w3bby says, propshop.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Without knowing what size props you need, I could recommend here:
http://www.mackproductsrc.com/props_p2.htm
Old 10-16-2015, 05:10 PM
CaptBri

Prop size would be about 12mm or just under 1/2"
Old 10-16-2015, 06:05 PM
CaptBri

Ya, I came across them too, but I wasn't sure of their descriptions. For example: "0550 Std. Scale LH / 3 BLD / Stainless - Default thread is M2"...is the 0550 the diameter in inches (i.e. just a shade over 1/2 inch)? I dropped them a note, but had not heard back. If that is the case these would probably work...and cost as much as the dang model:-) Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by CaptBri; 10-16-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:24 PM
CaptBri

Sounds scary! Will see what else I come up with and then give this a try...nothing ventured nothing gained! Thanks for the how-to.