Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking to get into the hobby

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Looking to get into the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 04:12 PM
Jayd83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get into the hobby

I'm looking to start this hobby of power boats with two of my sons who are 7 and 6 right now. I'm thinking about starting them in an electric rtr boat to get going to make sure they are gonna like it before I start dumping a lot of time and money into it. I was out at the park a couple Sundays ago watching and my boys haven't stopped talking about it since. I'm looking for any advice as to where to start them at. I was just browsing and came across a proboat recoil which is a rtr electric monohull. Its a 17 inch boat. Is this a good boat to start with? Is there any other kids racing this size or type of boat?
Old 11-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the board. I unfortunately have no advice to offer on what is the best pick for small electrics. I recently purchased 2 electrics for my son but have yet to get either out of the box. (I have gas boats which are not so friendly to my 5 year old). [h=1][/h]I guess my advice might be to buy something for the fun of it - a sport boat that you all can have fun with at any pond. Racing certainly can also be fun but you wont find too many who race RTR electrics.

It might pay to talk to the guys at the local pond about what they have and where they purchased it. These are potentially new friends you could run your boat with also.

Hopefully others will chime in with some feedback and experience to help you along!

Matt
Old 11-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Kids pick up on this stuff like ducks to water. My son was racing RC trucks at 6 and winning in the novice class but that's what I was into at the time.
I'm not into electrics either but Pro Boat has sold a lot of those. Go with hobby quality as department store boats are junk.
I'd rule out racing for now as I don't know if there is a class for them. Racing also involves joining a sanctioning body which isn't cheap and also a lot of driving to races. Some do have Novice classes.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:57 PM
dacaur

The proboat recoil is a proven hull design with a huge following. Though it's reletivly new to pro boat, the hull is identical to the atomic barbwire, which is a great boat. The recoil though actualy comes with better electronics. The boat might be a little fast for their ages, but the controller has a throttle dual rate knob if that's the case, and the self righting ability is great. I say go for it.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Jayd83

Thanks for the replys guys! I think I'm gonna buy them. If they enjoy it and wanna go further with it I'm gonna let em take off with it.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to sound like your mother - but make sure you do not swim for it. Be sure you have a way to retrieve it safely before you launch that does not involve you going in the water. We lose too many good boaters swimming (especially in cold water) for a stalled or tangled boat that seemed close to shore. I have never seen a boat worth dying for.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...-8-2011-a.html

And on a happier note - post some pics/video of your sons having a blast getting her wet!!