Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

TP Power USA issues

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

TP Power USA issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 02:50 PM
flyexperimental

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TP Power USA issues

I have a large CAT that I purchased from Fine Design Boats last fall . From reading some other threads I am lucky I received my boat from them , but eventually it showed up slightly damaged . Anyway after about 6 runs on the boat the motor does not turn freely . Not sure of the problem , but I know nothing about electric motors . I contacted TppowerUSA .com and they told me they could not take care of my issue with their motor and I must contact the reseller I got it from . Is this normal ? With Fine Design not returning my calls I would think that TP Power USA would let me send the motor directly to them to look at it .
Old 04-19-2016, 01:17 PM
The Saylors

I'm not familiar with that particular motor but if it did a partial seize up then it likely needs a bearing kit ($10-$20) which is very easy to install. When you say 6 runs do you mean 10min here and there or are you running a huge battery or dual batteries and getting 30+ min and running all day? They usually can benefit from a cool down every 15 min or so and a good clean out ever 3-5 hours of run time. Does that boat use a water intake for cooling? Also fresh or salt water? I have seen a couple boats that use water cooling but that had a fault were it was leaking water around the motor or right into it which can destroy bearings even in a "waterproof" motor. Is there slop in the motor shaft? They are very easy to get apart, just watch a video on youtube as they are all largely put together the exact same way. If the company is being dodgy right away then that is a bad sign. As i said i am not familiar with that particular one but from my experience a company that plays games is never worth dealing with. On the other hand all warranty type things i have had done were through the manufacturer as they are better equipped to deal with it so i would go to them.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:49 PM
flyexperimental

Chris got back to me . He is taking care of me . 6 runs were about 6-8 minutes each . No racing . 2 5000 MA 6 cell batteries run in a series . Chris said my series of motor had issues loosing magnets and they have a new an improved version . He is replacing it as soon as my old one arrives . He says the magnets are wrapped in Kevlar , my motor has a small piece of Kevlar hanging out the side of it .
Old 04-19-2016, 02:22 PM
The Saylors

oh ya any fault in the design will do it especially at the stupid high rpms you'll be hitting. Glad they are taking care of you! Good luck out there!