Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anything bsides air boat in pond full of weeds?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Anything bsides air boat in pond full of weeds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 04:05 AM
dontrinko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything bsides air boat in pond full of weeds?

The pond I use is full of slimy surface weeds. Is there anything that will chop thru the weeds without clogging the prop?
Thanks; Don
Old 07-23-2016, 05:25 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Probably not. Depending on the toughness of the weeds and their actual density, a gas mono might chop through them. But it probably wouldn't be a very fun experience. A traditional flatty airboat is the best choice.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best thing is to try to get rid of the weeds.A local small pond was overgrown with lilly pads and the owners used one of these, http://www.weedrazers.com/weed-contr...ed-razer-trade Another couple of guys followed along in a boat and picked up the cut ones.Looks real clean now.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:57 PM
moparbarn

While a gas mono MIGHT chop through the weeds, the water pickup would most likely get plugged cooking the engine.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:04 PM
Got RPM

Nope, not with the old standard RTR air-cooled weed-wacker engine.

PS, You have to think smarter than the weeds.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I wouldn't try any boat in weeds with anything sticking down into the water. Last summer, come to think about it, one year ago today, I was racing my scale 2000 Elam Plus in a pond full of milfoil. The racing area had been cut down to roughly 6" below the surface so we all thought we were good to go. I was forced wide in a corner and caught my rudder in the stuff. The result was a broken rudder pushrod and out of control boat. Even though I shut the engine down, the prop had already wrapped up in milfoil with the result of ripping the stuffing tube out of the boat's bottom and snapping the tube in half due to a flex cable that was starting to twist. I got lucky in that the repairs were fairly cheap(one piece of aluminum rod that I had to machine one end down to make an alignment tool to install a properly aligned stuffing tube, two pieces of brass tubing for the stuffing box, one piece of CF tube and CF rod for a new rudder push rod, epoxy and silica fibers to glue in the new stuffing tube) but the hassle had me pass on the race today in the same location. I'll just wait for the next race and then go play
Old 07-30-2016, 04:59 PM
Got RPM

I have seen several gas monos chop through some pretty thick weeds no problem. At a SAW event in Georgia a few years ago the weeds were very thick at one choke point and we could not run. A gas cat made numerous passes through the worst area and after raking the chopped weeds off the surface we were able to run.

A lot lot depends on the type of weeds. I assume from the OP's description of "slimy weeds" that there is a lot of algae. This is easy to cut up but will clog water intakes.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Got RPM
I have seen several gas monos chop through some pretty thick weeds no problem. At a SAW event in Georgia a few years ago the weeds were very thick at one choke point and we could not run. A gas cat made numerous passes through the worst area and after raking the chopped weeds off the surface we were able to run.

A lot lot depends on the type of weeds. I assume from the OP's description of "slimy weeds" that there is a lot of algae. This is easy to cut up but will clog water intakes.

That could be, but when you consider that my boat only has half the prop, rudder and skid fin in the water when running at speed and it still got tangled up with milfoil, it has to make you think twice about what you're running in
Old 08-02-2016, 07:53 PM
tiger17

I would say no. I just got a gas mono and while it does chop through sea weed it does tend to get tangled up and it's not very good fun to fix.