Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

motor/prop connector

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

motor/prop connector

Old 08-13-2016, 05:47 PM
smoketrailcharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor/prop connector

Hey guys Is there an off the shelf hardware item that would allow me to connect 1/8 motor shaft to a prop shaft.I live in a rual area Hardware store 8 miles Hobby store 70.There has to be a simple way but my wife says if there is a hard way to do anything I will find it.Working on scratch build Springer tug, Thanks much Smoke trail Charlie
Old 08-13-2016, 10:34 PM
canabus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a solid piece of aluminium rod drill a 1/8 hole thru the middle on the lathe(or drill press), changed to a drill size for the prop shaft and drill half way thru.
Placed the rod into a drill press, drilled and tap for grub screws.
Add flats onto the motor and drive shaft.
Fit the coupler and use a screw locking glue(or a bit of the wife's nail polish.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:51 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

If I google for "modular model boat shaft coupler" I get lots of answers. Since google knows that I am in the UK, most of the answers are UK based. If you search for it, you should get answers based more local to you, but Cornwall Model Boats and Model Boat Bits both export..
Old 08-14-2016, 06:53 AM
smoketrailcharlie

Thanks Canabus,all the way from Australia.I served in Viet Nam with the 1st Australian task forse.Nothing but the best respect for them.Sounds like it worked for you.I finally soldered two stop collars together ,will see how that holds together.. Thanks again Smoke trail Charlie.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:02 AM
smoketrailcharlie

mfr02 Thanks much,I know I can mail order parts but they kill you on the shipping.Bought a motor for 10 bucks and 9 bucks to ship it.Anyway thanks much I am so impressed with the Buxton boat club in the U.K. I could spend hours watching them and all the fantastic boats they show.I was in Southhamton many many years ago.1954 to be precise .Thanks again.Smoke trail Charlie