Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Changing frequency on cheap toy boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Changing frequency on cheap toy boat

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:56 AM
crazysilverwolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing frequency on cheap toy boat

Hi long time member but not a big poster, I have three cheap Ric boats which I bought from Amazon, my grandchildren love them but must be separated when they play as all have the same frequency, help I would at least like to change one of them but unsure where to get the part, not a normal crystal, I have a photo of the remote board.
i would love any help anyone can give.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	663.9 KB
ID:	2179325  
Old 09-02-2016, 12:33 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

They are designed as-is. To comply with radio legislation and be as cheap as possible, there are no user changeable parts. To change bands and have it working afterwards needs a well equipped radio workshop.
Generally, they use very non standard signalling protocols, transmit at very low power, and the receivers have very poor selectivity to compensate for the low power. If one gets used anywhere near any hobby grade transmitter which is using any channel in the band, the toys signal will probably be swamped. The transmitters broadcast "somewhere in the band", the receivers pick up everything in that band.
The pale blue thing top right is possibly an aerial filtering coil, the crystal is the item marked XT1 in the low profile can. In this day and age, the crystal is probably not doing any tuning, more likely it is providing the clock for the program that one of the chips is running to do the tuning. A program, once written, is a heck of a lot cheaper to produce in quantity than a physical radio.

Last edited by mfr02; 09-02-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:28 AM
crazysilverwolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I can't just swap the xt1 chip out?
Old 09-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What would you swap it to? Do you have a XT-2?

Old 09-04-2016, 12:54 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by crazysilverwolf
No.
Even if the crystal was tied to tuning the radio rather than providing clock pulses for the (assumed) processor in the chip, you would need to do a corresponding change at the other end and who knows just how illegal the newly tuned transmitter would be?. These things were not designed to be modified easily.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:01 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazysilverwolf
As stated you would also have to change out the transmit crystal in the transmitter provided you have a different pair of 27mhz (assuming it's 27)crystals. Again even after you did that it may not work properly.