Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

An RC Surfboard for Science - seeking some advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

An RC Surfboard for Science - seeking some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 02:13 PM
RC Sonar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An RC Surfboard for Science - seeking some advice

Hello all! I work at a University and we occasionally have projects where we need to take depth measurements. I am aware that there are survey grade remote control boats that you can order custom built that will already have an integrated Sonar + GPS, but we are weighing the feasibility of saving some money and attempting to rig up something of our own. (plus it will probably be more fun this way)

The sonar that we have is basically a fish-finder that will be mounted to the bottom of the vessel. On top there will be approx. 30lbs of equipment including a small battery for the sonar system, the system itself, a GPS antenna, and probably some kind of Pelican case in which to keep the things we do not want to get wet.

As of now we are thinking that a surf board might actually be the perfect platform for what we are doing. Relatively stable, can support some weight. This is going to be used mostly in rivers and lakes in calm circumstances. Perhaps, eventually it might see some use in some bays on the coast if it works well enough.

We can always attach the board to the back of a canoe or john boat or kayak and simply drag it around behind, but if there was some way to make it remote control that would eliminate the need to find and haul a boat out to some of the remote field sites where we may be using this thing.

So - being completely new to this sort of thing - is it feasible to turn a surfboard into a remote controlled platform for depth sounding equipment using hobbyist off-the-shelf parts? And, if so what parts do I need to do that? Obviously I will need a propulsion system and a rudder that I can control for steering and it does not need to be fast, in fact it is better if it is slow and steady.

Thoughts? Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 01-13-2017, 02:34 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Trolling motor, probably the simplest option to mount, modify for control and power. Available via Amazon if you are persistent enough to scroll down far enough. A DC motor is simple enough to control via a radio, it would probably need a winch to do the steering. Rotating the motor assembly removes the need for a rudder.