Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sound deadening?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Sound deadening?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:40 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Sound deadening?

Hi guys, Im not new ro boats, i have built a sub and a few warships in 1:96 and when younger the lindberg stuff, which I still have...
Been into Rc tanks now but I picked up the horizion MKII PBR rtr boat, i was going to build one but hey, this is easy now.

my question is the hull is vacuuform plastic and the motors are mounted right on the hull. They vibrate so loud on the hull. Any ideas for some rubber sheet or something for sound deadening around them?

i was thinking the 3M exterior double stick tape is thick rubber amd just lay it up in there around the motors on the hull and not bother to unpeel the other backing side of the stick tape.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-11-2017, 12:28 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The layer of rubbery material will work, but there really shouldn't be vibration if the motor and shaft are properly aligned.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:14 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I out the tape all over the rear of the hull inside and on the jet drive housings. The motors are screwed to jet drives amd suspended in space.
I figured out the reason the boat is so loud is all of the interior hull vibrates from the jets. The decks and panels are all thin vacuuform plastic and they harmonically resonate. You can feel the heavy vibration on them when the motors run. I started putting the dobule side tape on the other panels and it made a little difference. I would have to cover the underside of the deck and the inside of the hull completely for best results and i might, its just going to be a pain because of the limited access.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:19 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Properly set up motors and props should not vibrate. If plastic panels are resonating, strips of plastic stuck to them to break up the resonant distances will help damp it down, but the real cure is to find out what is out of balance and cure that.