Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Boat RC transmitter controlled by laptop via USB

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a boat RC transmitter controlled by a laptop via USB, and I wonder what do you think would be most popular option to do something like that at the moment?

I found some DIY recipes online, but I really wonder if there are some ready to go solutions.

It doesn't necessarily have to be cheap, though I really hope I don't have to sell a house to afford it.

What I'm looking for is an RC transmitter I can plug into my Linux or Mac laptop with a USB cable, and then I will have my python script with something like 'import rc_transmitter; rc_transmitter.go_forward()', and my boat will go forward.

Do you think I can buy something like that? Can you name a device like that?

Thank you! Really appreciate your help!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Use a PIC , or a PLC, or an Arduino.
    Don't know of any off the shelf unit that is plug and play.
    Brian Ray

Thank you, flyinwalenda! Those were things I googled first

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hopefully the electronic manufacturers are smart enough to realize that anything created for surface use could also be used for airborne use and would set off immediate flares to the FAA. While controlling RC with computers is okay for military, some commercial and educational use where it can be monitored and strictly controlled it is NOT for everyday hobby use.

Thank you rgburrill! This is very good perspective to look at!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It would need to be very low powered. Anything higher powered you would need a HAM license. I remember someone doing this awhile back on 6-meters
    Brian Ray