Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Semi-Scale Pontoon Boat or "Party Barge"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Semi-Scale Pontoon Boat or "Party Barge"

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:05 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Semi-Scale Pontoon Boat or "Party Barge"

This is going to be a slow paced design and build of a project for my wife to play with when
we go down to the river to run my other boats, something she can show off and have fun with.
I am building it to a scale of approx. 1/6th, 2" = 1" so that I can put Ken & Barbie dolls onboard
for skipper & crew.

Attached is the preliminary drawings for the sizing's of my pontoons and engine pod for mounting
the outboard motor that I have chosen for this project. Speed isn't a factor for this design and build,
it is a glamour show piece for my wonderful wife that puts up with me and my many hobbies.

Yes I still do all of my drawings on a board, not on computer, as I can see everything at all times,
and besides at 70 I'm too old to try to learn all the latest CAD stuff!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontoon Boat .JPG
Views:	54
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2228319  

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 08-17-2017 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2017, 03:34 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The last 11 days have been spent finalizing the design and building technique of the pontoons
and engine pod, I have changed the pontoon shape 3 times now and I'm finally happy with what
I have ended up with. I had a couple of full sheets of the blue insulation foam board and that is
what these pontoons will be made from (similar to a foam wing on an airplane) and covered with
1/16th & 1/32nd ply. Laminating them will be a process that will take a couple of days, them the
blanks will be trued up on either the band saw or table saw. The pics show the slightly oversized
pieces of the blue foam before and on the 1st pontoon glue up.

Now if Tropical Depression Harvey behaves itself and doesn't dump to much rain on us here on
False River my shop won't see any flood water and this build will continue, forecast is 8" to 12" of
rain over the next 2 days, if it comes and goes in showers with no more than 1 1/2" an hour I will be
OK anything over that, shop will flood.

My heart goes out to our fellow modelers in the Houston area, most that I know personally have flooded
and I'm sure lost everything...........my prayers are with them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01517.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	2229804   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01519.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	2229805   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01518.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	3.65 MB