Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Hobbico hustler

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:58 AM
Brek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico hustler

New to rc boats. Acquired a vintage hobbico hustler. Looking for some advise on hopping it up some. Thinking a bigger carb, tuned pipe, & maybe a different prop. Can't seem to find much info on these. Are parts still available for these?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!

Think the hustler went out of production in the late 1990's. At the time it was a very inexpensive gasser and one of only a few RTRs on the market.
As for hopping it up some - it has several weaknesses in its design - most notably the hull which is made of ABS plastic - it lacks rigidity and strength. I would be mindful that this boat was a high 20's to possibly 30mph boat when new. 20 years of age will not have improved things. Pushing the boat too hard could well see major failure in the hull.
I would consider a carb upgrade as the original one may well have gum issues by now. Tuned pipe would be a bit of a waste as the original stock motor probably lacks the porting to see any appreciable benefit from the use of a tuned pipe. Trying other props is always a way to find more speed - though perhaps at the expense of acceleration or similar.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:15 AM
Brek

Thanks for the info! Any idea where I might be able to find parts? Haven't got a response back from hobbico if anything is still available.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:54 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You wont have much luck finding direct Hustler parts but for things like carbs etc there are plenty of options.
Welcome to Zippkits! has very good prices
www.bonzisports.com has a bit of variety.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:48 PM
blizard05

[img]g4628[/img]

Last edited by blizard05; 09-16-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

One of these? Vacuum-formed ABS hull so the strakes are rounded. It has an old weedeater engine so some parts are available at small engine shops.
The last one I saw was at a local hobby shop a few years ago and I was surprised to see it then. Weedie hop-up parts aren't around like they used to be after the Zenoah's hit the market. Just get it going and enjoy it for what it is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hustler.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	2232461