Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Cheap, One Speed Motor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Looking for a Cheap, One Speed Motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:55 AM
Bigcountry1219

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Cheap, One Speed Motor

Hi everyone! I'm really hoping that you may be able to help me out. I have to admit, I know nothing about RC boats, but I am trying to build a swimming duck decoy and I think an RC motor may actually work really well for that.

So, what I'm looking for is a one speed (preferably a realistic speed for a duck to swim) motor which can me turned on with a switch, rather than radio controlled. My plan is to put this motor inside a duck decoy, turn it on and let it "swim" in my decoy spread while duck hunting.

I've seen the RC ducks on YouTube, but those are usually too fast and operated with a hand controller. The key for me is the ability to turn it on and just let it run.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 09-30-2017, 07:26 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And how will you steer this decoy? Any motor can be made one speed. Decoy speed will be determined by prop speed/motor speed and prop pitch.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:56 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

If there is no radio, it becomes a "use once only" decoy as it heads away.- and carries on heading away. A few years ago, Playmobil produced a box that had a radio, speed and steering control and batteries that fixed under their toy pirate ships. No idea if they are still around, but the pirate ships ere about duck size. Depending on the breed of duck.
The speed of any motor depends on the voltage it gets and the load imposed by the prop. The speed of the duck is a function of the weight of the duck in the water (what it displaces), its shape (how easily it moves through water), and how much water the prop can shift in a given length of time.
Since a radio duck has been a popular subject in the past, a google for RC Duck should offer maybe useful pointers.

Last edited by mfr02; 10-01-2017 at 12:58 AM.