Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on Graupner Premium Line Battleships?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Any thoughts on Graupner Premium Line Battleships?

Old 01-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Rob Romero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts on Graupner Premium Line Battleships?

I’m thinking of plunking down $1480 for one or more of these ships (Missouri, Yamato, Bismarck, Hood, Prince of Wales). Strangely they are out of stock right now. In an email with Tian Jie (makers of 1/144 Yamato Kit) they seemed to impugn Graupner suggesting that I “talk to Graupner USA about the packing and why they are out of stock.” Any thoughts on these products; Graupner USA does not guarantee their products from damage in shipping; has anyone had issues with damage from shipping? Are there any other thoughts regarding the value of their premium line battleships? (Worth the cost?, Quality? Etc.)
Thanks

Last edited by Rob Romero; 01-25-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:10 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Graupner went into receivership in 2012 and was taken over by a Korean company. I have not seen any Graupner product since then, I have no idea of their product quality, etc. today.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:47 PM
Blkft1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I don't have any of their Premium line boats. I've read hit and miss on their Premium and RTR boats construction wise and that it may be better to buy a kit and build if possible or rework it if necessary. The quality of the parts is good, it's just the assembly or who assembled it seems to be the issue. Also accessibility or some of the internals was not too thought out when assembled where ever that may have been. Again, this was from researching on other forums. Would this keep me from buying one of their $1500 ships,? Not really, except the $1500 YIKES, the Upper Brass would not approve! I have the less expensive Taucher Wulf Tugboat kit, hull quality is not too bad, has a couple blemishes that won't effect its performance or its looks (Hey! It is a tug!). Other than that its a thick cloth woven hull that is pre-primered, straight, and with good detail. I have a couple Microglass hulls and I would say the T-Wulf is up to par for a production line hull. My kit came well packed in its original box unwrapped from Graupner, which I found strange considering everywhere else I've ordered is double boxed. But the Graupner packaging is actually a pretty robust shipping box so no worries, except for "Porch Pirates". I hope this helps and is not too late.

Last edited by Blkft1; 02-02-2018 at 10:50 PM.