RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Windy day

Old 06-03-2018, 04:21 PM
CFinn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Windy day

How much wind/ wave is too much for a recoil pro boat 17 inch? I took my boat out and am brand new to the boat hobby and it was all over the place wave we at least 6 inches or so and winds were 19 mph. Still had fun but really want to stretch it legs and see how fast it can go instead of exploding it into the water and submarinng it under. Had a lot of water in the hull to way more then I was expecting.

any advice is welcome will a boat like this only run fast on a glass calm water day?
Old 06-04-2018, 12:44 AM
mfr02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

6 inch waves are BIG for a 17 inch boat. Think what it would be like taking a 17 foot boat out in 6 foot waves.and 70mph winds. While a deep V can handle rougher water than, say, a tunnel, it still has limits. Forcibly ramming it underwater at speed will certainly test the hatch seal to its limits - it is mostly intended to keep splashes out, not water under pressure.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:45 AM
mfr02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

6 inch waves are BIG for a 17 inch boat. Think what it would be like taking a 17 foot boat out in 6 foot waves.and 70mph winds. While a deep V can handle rougher water than, say, a tunnel, it still has limits. Forcibly ramming it underwater at speed will certainly test the hatch seal to its limits - it is mostly intended to keep splashes out, not water under pressure.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:11 AM
CFinn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ha, that makes sense. Good cause tomorrow the winds we be 5-10 mph so taking it out again to see how she does