RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Where To Purchase Turbine Powered Hydroplane?

Old 08-30-2018, 06:24 AM
Optimus485

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Where To Purchase Turbine Powered Hydroplane?

I've been searching for a place that will build or sell a turbine powered Miss Budweiser hydroplane. Does anyone know where I can find this?

Thanks guys.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:17 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you're going to have to start with the engine and build the boat yourself to match. There is an engine company that makes a turbo prop version for RC helicopter use. No idea what the shaft speed for the prop is or if it can be modified for boat use. But I'd start there. Here's a link to one source: Turbo Prop

At 5 grand for just the engine, no small investment. I predict you're talking 10-15 grand before this hits the water. And then it could result in total disaster on the first run.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:14 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Welcome to the forum

Was a used one on ebay a month or so ago. Selling for about 1/2 or less than it would cost to build. Didnt sell.

Have a friend with an oh boy oberto. Believe he is asking over $10k

Realistically a turbine hydro is something most work up to. They are not plug and play like an electric and can bring a very expensive learning curve.
Generally the people who are ready already know where to look for one.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:02 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have to agree with JAW. Your steps to build one would be:
1) get an engine and gearbox, something that is not cheap and only one company that I know of even makes. You can plan on $5,000 for that alone, last I knew.
2) get a set of plans and scale them up to the appropriate size and then plan on redrawing them. The only place that I know of that has plans would be Newton Marine and they will run you around $100
3) get materials and start building. You can plan on spending some serious cash for the appropriate types and thicknesses of ply and hardwoods as the plywood isn't something you can just go to your local home center and pick up. You will also have to build plugs for the engine cover, cockpit and tail feathers. After they are complete, you will need to use those to make molds for your fiberglass parts. Once those are done, you can make your fiberglass parts. As you can probably tell, this is also a spendy task
4) get the appropriate paints and find a good painter. Since the boats are painted with automotive paint, you're looking at some serious money again since a base color, white for example, is roughly $200 for a quart and, if you go for one of the older gold decked hulls, it's gold leaf, meaning even more money
5) find a good machinist. All of your engine mounts and running gear will have to be custom made since they are all not going to be something you can buy off the shelf
6) find a source for your graphics. Since they will be an odd size, you can plan on a probably $200 or more for a set
As you can see, this is not an inexpensive project. It is doable but you can plan on probably $10K or more and lots of time to get it built. Oh yes, almost forgot, plan on lots of testing as these boats are very picky when it comes to how the hull is balanced and what prop and thrust angle will work best
Old 09-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Turbine Bud boat

Bud boat2
I've seen one Miss Bud hydro but it's been years ago at the Toledo Show in of all places, the K&B/MECOA booth. The last I knew, the Wren turbines with the gearboxes were $4,500.00 but that's been a while. It also needs a laptop computer for programming and start-up.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To give you an idea of what a twin turbine boat looks like, here's a video for you. I've seen this boat in person and own the camcorder it was shot with.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:35 PM
FCruz
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If anyone is interested I have a turbine catamaran available for sale.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:07 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by FCruz View Post
If anyone is interested I have a turbine catamaran available for sale.

​​​​​​​perhaps you could list it for us - Marketplace - RCU Forums