RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Senior Design - Large Electric Vessel

Old 11-08-2018, 07:48 PM
CleanGreen

Question Senior Design - Large Electric Vessel

This is my first time ever posting, but more than that, my first time working with an RC project so I would really appreciate any info. Would anyone have a good guess on what kind of motor and battery combo would be a good choice for the size of boat I am trying to build.

My team and I are building a functional prototype of a sea fairing vessel for our sponsor. It's expected to be about 5' long by 3' wide with a catamaran type hull (two smaller hulls connected by a deck and canopy). The hulls will be as light as possible using either fiberglass or plastic, but the vessel with have a bit of weight/drag due to a garbage collection system that will protrude into the water. Our saving grace is that the minimum speed it has to achieve is only 2 knots ( about 2.2 mph). So if we have 2 motors (1 per hull), probably for torque over RPMs, anyone know a good motor for the job?

Like I said, this is my first ever exposure to anything of this nature so even a helpful point in the right direction would be great. Thanks for checking the post.
Old Yesterday, 03:06 AM
mfr02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Look up "hull speed". You might find that 2Kt is about the top end that a 5 foot boat can economically manage. According to the calculator on https://www.easycalculation.com/phys...calculator.php about just under 3, but this will drop dramatically with anything other than a nice smooth, clean hull.
Duration will depend on the size of the battery that can be carried. Anything being dragged will act as a sea anchor and reduce performance
If intending to be actually seafaring, have a look at SEACHARGER - SeaCharger Oceangoing Autonomous Boat - Home where you might get sime useful tips from somebody who sent a boat from California to Hawaii, and almost got to New Zealand.