Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Novice

Old 11-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Dipwad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novice

I want to eventually move up to racing hydroplanes. Being a novice I know I will have to go slow
What should I get to start.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:07 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are looking to race I would track down a local club. Check out Namba.com or IMPBA.com if you do not know of a club near you.
Attending a race might give you a good idea of just what class you in fact want to get into. No point getting a boat that is not in an active class. Also ask some questions and get to know the guys - again - these are the people you will be running with.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:01 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

And while I agree with Justaddwata, what might help us a bit more to help you is to know what kind of hydroplanes you are looking at as well as the area you live in. There are several types and sizes of hydroplanes that are raced. Let me list a bunch of them by class types:
  1. Hydro: these classes run primarily outriggers and are broken down into subclasses based on engine and hull size
  2. Sport hydro: These classes run boats that use the classic hydroplane style of the full sized boats. This class is also broken down into subclasses by engine and hull size
  3. 1/10th scale electric: This class is as advertised, all boats must look like a full sized boat and be built within the size and power restrictions placed on the boats in the class rules and a master hull roster with all boats listed as well as size restrictions
  4. 1/8 scale: Again, this class is as advertised, all boats must look like the full sized boats and be built within the size restrictions of the class. The class is divided into nitro, powered by an 11cc engine or electric drive and meet the size restrictions of a master hull roster
  5. Gas scale: This class is just like 1/8 scale, but larger by 20%. These boats are powered by gas engines up to roughly 30ccs
  6. 1/7th scale electric: Again, this class is like all of the other scale classes, just larger and powered by an electric drive
  7. Classic Thunderboat: This class uses boats built to a very restrictive design and size requirements and must be powered by a specific sized engine
Not sure what you mean by starting slow as there isn't really a slow class. Even the smallest sport and scale classes are capable of hitting speeds into and well past the 40+mph range, depending on the person that built and drives the boat. This is where engine limits come into play. An example of this is that a sport 20 hull will not be legal with an engine larger than 3.5cc(.21ci), even though a larger engine might fit in the hull. At the same time, that same sport 20 hull would be legal with .12, .15 or .18 sized engines

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 11-24-2018 at 07:13 AM.