Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Surfboard water jet thruster

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Surfboard water jet thruster

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 09:00 PM
Tonymura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Surfboard water jet thruster

Hi all nice to meet you.
I was told by an moderator that this will be the best place to post my topic so here goes.
I am trying to design a thruster for a surfboard so was wanting to know hopefully if someone knew what would be the best ideal brushless motor to use thats out there on the market right now.
I started just yesterday to make a temporary mold ( looks a little bit amateurish ) and hoping to cast this out of epoxy resin as a test sample to see if it will have enough thrust,
Parts didnt really cost anything i think like $5 for PVC piping and the wooden box was lying around in the garage so i purchased some plaster of paris 2.5 kg for $5 is proving to be very inexpensive so far.
My bore size will be 70 mm. So i will have to make up an propeller later to suite hopefully out of stainless steel with and end cap out of aluminum for back support and protection. This i will turn it up on the lathe.
I have attached an image but due to not enough post counts i am not allowed to upload my image to this thread. It says error not allowed URL so sorry i cant show you my mold of the jet thruster.
Originally I was thinking about buying 2 x 40mm thrusters that can be purchased on Ebay but i have had a change of mind instead just opting on one thruster only for now.
I seen a video on Youtube that looked promising that gave quiet a lot of thrust, This caught my curiosity and thought let me try this out and lets see if this can be done.
I am not really good at understanding brushless motors as i am still fairly new to this and including the selection of an ESC to go with it.
I also understand that, there will need to be a RC to go with it. I seen someone on the internet build one that fitted
in the palm of his hand but i will ask this question much later here on this forum as i think you guys will defiantly be able to point me in the right direction.
So for now any suggestion would be greatly appreciated with the motor and ESC.
Hoping to hear from you.
Thanks in advance

Old 04-23-2020, 01:33 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Electrics are not my area unfortunately but MHZ do cater to the surfboard market and have pumps and motors to suit. You might be able to cross reference some info from their site or get a recommendation from them based on your configuration - https://www.mhz-watercraft.com/
Old 04-23-2020, 02:32 AM
Tonymura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
Thank you for that site.
This was very helpful.
Just about the best advice i have had all day.
That was a very interesting website. They have a lot all stuff all tailoring to the surf board industry.
I think i will send them am email.
They even have the correct 50 mm water jet thruster that i am looking for.
Very impressive cnc machined metal impellers and quite a few other items as well .
Thank you my friend.

Last edited by Tonymura; 04-23-2020 at 04:01 PM.