Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Full size boat grease in RC boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Full size boat grease in RC boat

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 06:35 AM
Pilot_Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full size boat grease in RC boat

My dad stuffed his new pursuit with Actual, full size boat marine grease. I assume it would be ok, just making sure. Anyone else do this, or is it going to ruin the boat?
Old 07-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

If he stuffed the stuffing box, it's probably fine as long as the grease isn't one of the real thick and sticky ones, like a bearing grease. A heavy grease like that will put a heavy load on the drive and COULD actually overload the electronics. I would test it on the bench and see how the boat reacts. If it's showing signs of heavy load, clean out the grease and repack it with something lighter. What I use in on my drive shaft is a water proof lithium based grease.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:20 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

On any model boat forum, do a search for "prop shaft lube" and be amazed at the variety of answers.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:35 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by mfr02
On any model boat forum, do a search for "prop shaft lube" and be amazed at the variety of answers.
Very true. And that is the very reason I recommended a bench test. Without knowing what kind of grease was used, I can't(and won't) say the grease is good or bad. I also don't know what kind of boat or, for that matter, what kind of drive shaft was installed in the boat, again making a definitive good or bad impossible
Old 07-18-2020, 07:01 AM
Pilot_Guy

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Very true. And that is the very reason I recommended a bench test. Without knowing what kind of grease was used, I can't(and won't) say the grease is good or bad. I also don't know what kind of boat or, for that matter, what kind of drive shaft was installed in the boat, again making a definitive good or bad impossible
It's a TFL Pursuit with the two piece stinger shaft which I hear is a pain in the ass without the one piece shaft. I compared the dyna grease made for RC boats with the marine grease he got from AutoZone and they seem to be the same thickness from what I could see. I didn't do any fancy testing, just used a tooth pic and moved it around a little bit. They seem the same, but who knows, color is exact same. I think it will be ok.

My dad is not as fussy and perfection as I am so he just stuffed it full of marine grease from autozone and called it ok and that it is fine, even though I disagree with it. He also has way too much gap between the dog drive and strut. Again he tells me it will be fine, it gets kind of frustrating on my part. I tell him to store it in the room with the A.C going on hot days, lower humidity, but again, he puts it on the bench in his garage where it is blazing warm in the day and can be like 30 degrees cooler at night. I prefer to keep my models in a good, environment controlled room when not outside being used and he is fine with the model being stored in a 90 plus degree garage in the summer. It drives me nuts, lol He also demands he wants 6s batteries in the pursuit which I believe is set up for 4s. I guess the 120 amp ESC can handle 6s, but not sure about the prop. Well possibly I will just let him do his thing and break the boat, then possibly he will take my suggestions. I just wish he got into RC cars, because boats seem to me, to be a pain, especially these F.E boats. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:45 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds to me like you and your dad have much bigger issues that what grease to use in a toy boat.........
Old 07-25-2020, 08:39 AM
Pilot_Guy

Originally Posted by Got RPM
Sounds to me like you and your dad have much bigger issues that what grease to use in a toy boat.........
Do you know the frustration of being in RC for decades and knowing that the electronics really enjoy a dry, cool storage option then tellling this information to someone that totally disregards the recommendation, storing it on a shelf in the garage that is at least 110 degrees inside during the summer and goes down to 50-65 at night, making condensation over the entire boat? Then telling you "it will be ok"....
Old 07-25-2020, 10:40 AM
Hydro Junkie

Yup, get the same thing at work all the time. Since I work in commercial aviation, there are written specifications and processes for everything. It drives me crazy when I get told "But we don't do it that way on the floor" or "my lead/coworker/manager says" and they get upset when I ask them if I need to have the FAA audit their shop to verify the work is being done correctly
Old 07-25-2020, 06:52 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Toy boats and general aviation. One man’s personal choice for his property versus life-and-death. Perfect analogues........

Old 07-25-2020, 11:01 PM
Hydro Junkie

I wasn't looking at the different types of craft or the ramifications of crashing or storage. I was comparing the attitudes of the people involved and the frustration created when dealing with them. PG was talking about the attitude over storing in a climate controlled area vs in a garage that had temperature swings of 40+ degrees while I was referring to people that think they know all after some rudimentary instruction but no real experience . Both can be frustrating as hell when you try to explain why they are wrong when they won't listen to the voice of reason
Old 10-04-2020, 05:06 AM
kevinsburns

Condensation...These are boats that get wet, wet inside too.....Condensation, the little condensation if any at any rate is far less than a day at the water hole.