Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's it worth?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 04:21 PM
LtDoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's it worth?

I have a question about what a model is worth. I know what the total cost in parts is, and about how much time is envolved in labor. So I'm wondering what the thing is worth if I wanted to sell it? Or if I wanted to insure it? Is there a particular guideline for this, or is it sort of whatever the market will bear/bare?
- LtDoc

PS - I'm not interested in either selling, or insuring it. Just wondering.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:27 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: What's it worth?

Time is time, 12-50 dollars an hour.
What is your time worth to you.
If you really look at your work, what would you criticize?
Will others see the same thing or be overwhelmed by the model and their need of posessions?

There are those out there that have the money to buy the things they want and will pay almost any price. There are those of us that can't pay that price, but have the skills to build unique and wonderful treasures. The people inbetween will marvel and be awstruck at those creations and give you great consideratons.

I found, that the market will bear 2 times what I think a piece is worth in parts, labor not a consideration. For the same model in parts and labor, I would imagine it would come out around $4000 dollars. I certainly wouldn't buy anything priced so high.
But there are those that will jump at it. Just look at those model "sailboats" in the furniture stores. Those fetch one heck of a price.

Now that I you have made me think about it, I gave someone one heck of a deal.[X(]
Old 12-21-2003, 08:23 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

LtDoc ,
There is a LOT more to the market of selling boats .
First , used or never run . Next , the time of year . The beginning of winter is NOT the time to try and sell and get your best "offers" . The time to sell , is when the "bug" bites , which is RIGHT before the waters start to thaw . THEN , you can get some FANTASTIC prices .
But , also , not too often , you will find that the price might not go to the dollar amount that you might think .
Check out JIMS BOAT DOCK to see what I am saying . There have been ( in the recent past ) some RTR boats that have sold for almost "give away" prices . Why ? Because of the time of year .
Look at all the major manufacturers ... all the "discounts" that they are offering right now . Some are throwing out FREE SHIPPING , some $100 off , others have other types of discounts , but it all boils down to the same thing ... wrong time of year . ( right now that is )
Alot also , has to do with what/who's hardware , what motor and mods , type of paint ( if any ) , any clear coat , and of course , what hull .
And of course , the infamous BIG question - "HOW FAST DOES IT GO" ( )
BIG deciding factor there ! ( for a gasser that is )
Old 12-21-2003, 06:06 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Umi and Bob both gave some great responses. For insurance purposes, they will try to find a way to chisel the price down so that is why people try to save receipts.
Resale price is often half of what you have into it but this also depends upon the condition; new, slightly used to beat into the ground. We always feel that our babies are worth more to us so it's hard for me to unload any of them.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:21 PM
LtDoc

...Okay, let's use my last model as an example. I have a Billing's 'Banckert' that cost about $110 in kit form. Probably another $40 in various parts, paint, and motor (not counting the electronics). Something like 20 to 40 hours putting it together. I'd call it as being "not bad" as far as it's looks. Definitely not a 'museum' quality, but I've seen a lot worse! On a scale of 1 to 10, maybe about a 6 or 7. I've seen some boats on the internet selling (asking) for what I think is a rediculously high price. This one isn't worth a fortune, no matter what I might think about it, but I have no idea what would even be a 'fair' price. Again, I'm NOT trying to sell it, I just wanna know...
- LtDoc
Old 12-22-2003, 01:20 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

As in the sale of most personal or hobby items the price is just what the market will bear. The problem is determining just what is that amount. Most modelers are driven by what they want in addition to the price. If someone wants your tug try asking them to make an offer. If you feel it's fair take it, if not just say thanks but no thanks. Used modeling materials or completed models have so many ifs, ands or buts it is usually next to inpossible to attach a price in advance. Like UMI I think I've given some great deals to some people.