Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sun Riser 24 Sailboat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Sun Riser 24 Sailboat

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 02:07 AM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sun Riser 24 Sailboat

Hi,

I just bought the new Sun Rise 24 Sailboat from Horizon Hobby. My wife and I saw the boat at Toledo and thought it would make a good simple sailboat for our camper. I have a couple of questions.

- First, when I connected the top mast to the bottom I can't get it in the black connector the whole way. It is so tight that I'm afraid I might bend the mast. Should I try and push in the whole way and if so, any recommendations on how?

- Next since this is my first sailboat, while reading the instructions concerning tack. They mention a term called closed-hull. But, this term is not defined. What does it mean.

Thanks for the info.

Dave
Old 06-17-2002, 04:38 PM
RobStagis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry for the delay....

I don't know about the Sun Rise 24, but 2-part masts, shoulb, at minimum, butt together. In other words, the two halves should come together over the joiner (unless it has a 'shoulder' to position it and keep 'em apart. Otherwise, the rigging won't be the right length. Maybe sand or trim teh joiner just enough to make it a tight slipfit.....

Closed-hull.....you mean, maybe, close-hauled? That means pointing into the wind as close as you can to the wind direction without the sails flapping. In other words, pull the sails in all the way (via the radio) and point the boat directly into the wind. The sails will flap. Allow the boat to 'fall off' the wind in either direction only until the sails stop flapping and the boat heels over. Now, without touching the sail control, experiment with pointing the boat towards the wind direction, then away, until you see how close it will come to hte wind.

'Tacking' is sailing upwind by sailing close-hauled on one side, then turning through (into) the eye of the wind and doing the same from the other.

I've deliberately stayed away from nautical terms...email me if you want more info.....