Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Speed Props for .12 & .15 w/c inboard engines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Speed Props for .12 & .15 w/c inboard engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 03:09 AM
Jazzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Props for .12 & .15 w/c inboard engines

Hey all,

The plastic prop that came with my Nitro Vee didn't last terribly long. (A few woopsies and its shot.)
What aftermarket props are a good choice for these two engines?
The parts order form from Traxxas says that metal props are not available for it. I came across an older Nitro Vee that has a metal prop on it. That particular boat only has a .12 engine whereas my newer one has a .15.
The older boat has an engine with IMAGE stamped on the side of the case. Ever heard of that engine? (I've briefly run the engine but not in the water so I don't know how well the metal prop works. It looks like a bronze Prather 1.6X2.5.)

TIA,
Jeff
Old 07-11-2002, 01:05 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can try some Octura props in the sizes from X430- X435 for this boat. I'm not too familiar with the Traxxas Nitro-Vee so check the shaft size. If the prop bore is too large, you can shim it with some brass tubing.
The Image motor is Traxxas' name for their engine. They are an okay engine but have problems with the front bearing leaking and messing up the fuel mixture. When you upgrade the prop, make sure that you sharpen and balance the prop, very important! The props are made of Beryllium Copper, not brass and the filings are toxic so be careful when working with them.
Old 07-11-2002, 03:32 AM
Jazzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ron! Where might I find Octura props?
Would one sharpen the LE of the blades like a knife edge?
(Sorry, this is new territory for me.)

Jeff

A little more info on the Nitro Vee: When the outdrive is parallel to the bottom of the hull it WILL ride on the prop. Most if not all of the boat is out of the water when configured this way. (It has a manually adjustable outdrive in place of trim tabs.) Therefore, I'd be looking for a surface piercing prop. I'm guessing- under very good conditions and the Rs tweaked- it runs 25-30 MPH.
Old 07-11-2002, 03:09 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Octura props should be available at most decent hobby shops or they can order them. Yes, you do sharpen the leading edge and you can also polish or take some weight off from the back side (the side facing the boat) but NOT from the front side. Polishing that side is OK though. That's not a bad speed for that boat. The latest issue of R/C Boat Modeler has an article covering this boat, good timing for you. This boat can be hopped up later if you wish, a header pipe from a Traxxas car or truck can be used with a tuned pipe, Mac makes a nice one for this size motor or you can dump the RTS system to lighten it.