Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

keeping my boat going strait

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

keeping my boat going strait

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 12:50 PM
jasonw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keeping my boat going strait

Hi I am rebuildign a verry old criscraft cabin crueser it is about 2.5-3feet long but verry verry light. I am having 2 problems first off can anyone help me idedntify the origin of the boat? for pictures goto http://ww2.cdepot.net/~jasonw/photog...o5174/real.htm
also when I have it out on the water and try to turn into the wind the wind just caches the bow and spins the boat back around. I dont have revers in the boat so I have lost it and had to use my trusty fishing pole to "fish" it out 2 times already. How can I make it more stable wind wise in the water. I first thought itwas to light but going over wakes dose not really afect it you can see the wake passing it but the bow dose not hop up and down like my speed boat dose. I am using a 12-18V motor purchased at radio shack Airtronics radio with 4AA's powering it and a 4AA 4.8V battery powering the boat. it uses one motor and gears to drive 2 props and also has 1 servo powering 2 ruders. i thought the 4.8V batter did not give it enough power to push the bow around in the wind so i pluged in the &.@ V 3000ma battery from my palne to it and it spun the gears so fast i was scared they would break. The gears use no bearings or bushings the just have a plastic stud that gose through the gear mount and gear and is melted on eather side. I dont even know if the boat is meant for R/C use I found it at an anteq store. it had the stock motor in it wich i broke trying to clean and no electronics just the battery hold and swich and motor. thanks in advance for any help anyone can give . check out the pictures its a beutifull boat just needs a little work
Old 04-13-2002, 09:01 AM
MikeWz

Default Keel

Is the keel large enough. You may need to extend the keel somehow to stop the wind from pushing it around
Old 04-14-2002, 05:05 AM
RobStagis

Default All kindsa stuff :)

First, the weight. The boat should sit on its waterline, which means the line between the red and white on the hull. If its lighter, add weight on the centerline (fishing weights, lead shot from the gun store) until it DOES sit precisely on that line. If heavier, remove what you can until it sits there. It looks like it was painted in the right place, so try to get there. Real boats sit right on that line.

I get the idea that you don't have a ton of money. So:

Power - Lindberg NEVER provides enough power. MACK used to provide a power package for this boat that would get it on a nice plane. I would dump the single motor/gearbox setup (and no, I wouldn't trust that gearbox either) and change to twin motors somehow. Check Radio Shack for their 6v motors - cheap. Mount the motors however you can (scrap plastic and rubber bands if you've gotta) and use model airplane fuel tubing to attach the shafts to the motors...

If you can't change the motors, then ensure you have as much rudder throw as possible by changing arm lengths on the servo and rudders. You need POWER and rudder throw to turn that thing - the prop's thrust against the rudders is what turns it....good luck. And if you wanna sell it, call me
Old 05-01-2002, 10:17 PM
jasonw

Default thanks

Thanks for all the help and complements. I think my mane problem is not having enough power pushing past the ruders to bring it around in the wind. After recently geting my new ESC and battery I will take it out tomorow and try it and some of the sugestion in this forum and keep everyone up to date.