Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Turbine Hydroplane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Turbine Hydroplane

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 05:16 PM
Super Hornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine Hydroplane

Has any tried a true turbine powered hydroplane? If not, any thoughts on the subject. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:56 PM
R. Carver

My thoughts? It would be WAAAY cool! I was wondering about this myself, what with the availability of turbines lately. I've seen pictures of a model turboprop, so I'm sure it could be done...if I only had the money!!
Old 01-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Super Hornet

Default Turbine Hydro

Just wondering about how to keep water spray out of the turbine.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:09 PM
alleycat

Check out this site www.amt.nl ,and go to photo gallery.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:39 PM
Super Hornet

Thanks for the heads up on the AMT site. So it can and has been done. Things are looking up.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:07 AM
R. Carver

What I had in mind was a prop-driven, turbine powered boat, like the full-scale unlimited hydros......
Old 03-01-2002, 02:59 PM
miderror

Default It can be done

If these guys and turn a airscrew you can turn a waterscrew.
http://www.wren-turbines.com/turboprop.htm
Would be very cool to see.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:53 AM
Olafsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello
Take a look here!

http://www.egbj.fsnet.co.uk/images/Saro2.jpg
http://www.egbj.fsnet.co.uk/images/Saro1.jpg
Tomas
Old 05-14-2002, 12:15 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This subject was brought up last year by John Equi in the Roostertail. he wanted to see if there was any serious interest in a class for these motors. They would have to be prop driven to be IMPBA legal but I would love to see some of those babies run! The way that the IMPBA goes, it would be years if they finally made a class for them.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:20 PM
tjay88

Hi All,
The turbine powered boats on the AMT website belong to a friend of mine which we run as and when UK weather permits! The Canard Hydro has only been out once so far and not driven in anger although it looks very promising. It's powered by a RAM 750 set to aroung 22lbs thrust so performance should be spritely!
This is all part of larger project we're working on with the 'Quicksilver' team (see www.quicksilver-wsr.co.uk ) where we'll be building a large scale model for varios design proving and electronic systems testing. This will be powered by a 170lb thrust turbine which we're about to take delivery of for testing.

Regards,
Tony
Old 06-25-2002, 12:02 AM
Steve Crosby

Sounds like a good idea doesn't it. We had a open discussion on rcboat.com some time back and some of the issues were: the turbine would need to be a twin shaft like they use in heli's so you can run it into a gearbox to spin the prop @18-22k and not 140k + reduce the flexshaft RPM and increase torque. Then of coarse the water in the intake, all I could image is the scene in the movie Cast Away after a 70mph pass with a blow over and the jet turbine explodes, Owch!! Then the cost, $3k +++++ just for the power plant??? NOT. But, it sure would sound kick *****..............Steve
P.S. Let me know if anyone hits the lotto and wants to build one
Old 06-25-2002, 08:25 PM
tjay88

Actually turbines wil take more abuse than you would think. I speak from experience! As long as no other debris is forced in to the intake the turbine will usually survive OK. Just get it drained of any water asap and run it to get some oil back in the bearings. This applies to freash water. Wouldn't go near salt water.

Tony
Old 06-26-2002, 10:13 PM
Steve Crosby

Tony,
You are telling me that if a hydro flips @ 60+ mph and lands deck down with an intake full of water @ 120,000 rpm it will not destroy it?!?!?! Come on ! Steve
Old 06-29-2002, 08:12 AM
tjay88

Steve,
No that's not whatI'm saying. I can tell you that we've never flipped the hydro (yet) but the V-hull Super Hawai we've rolled over on a number of occasions with no damage to the engine - fact. The only time the motor was damaged was when part of the top cover shattered on impact with the water and the debris broke the compressor wheel.
The engine in the hydro has also had a number of dunkings for other reasons but still runs OK too.

Rgds,
Tony
Old 06-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Steve Crosby

Tony,
You actually have built these boats with turbines? If so I would love to see some pics!!!!!! Inside and out pls............Steve
Old 06-29-2002, 06:44 PM
Steve Crosby

Never mind Tony,
I went to AMT site and found those pics. I believe you will need to harness the power through a gear reduction box to a prop to truely benefit from the turbine power plant. Have seen the Unlimited Hydroplanes setup? Steve
Old 06-29-2002, 07:27 PM
tjay88

That's true. Though using thrust alone they don't hang about.
The power potential through a shaft is massive. This will be the next step, i.e. bolt on a power turbine and gearbox to turn a prop the same as the unlimited guys do. It's just finding the time (not to mention the money to do it!).

Rgds,
Tony
Old 06-29-2002, 07:33 PM
Steve Crosby

Tony,
If and when you do try, go 1/8 scale hydro, I believe you will get a big responce from the scale guys. The biggest investment would be the turbine anyway, isn't it? Steve
Old 06-30-2002, 01:05 PM
tjay88

How big ate the 1/8 scale boats? Any sites that we could take a look at?
You're right about the cost. The engines are the most expensive bit. In fact we're about to take delivery of a 170lb thrust engine next week which we may convert to shaft power. At around 100 bhp it should be powerful for a small full size hydro (if that makes any sense).

BFN
Tony
Old 06-30-2002, 08:58 PM
Steve Crosby

Tony,
1/8 scale hydros are generally around 43"long x 16" wide. Check out these sites: http://www.cbvcp.com/rcunlimited/rcnews.htm
http://www.rcboat.com/
http://www.scalehydros.com/
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/powerboats/index.html
check out the XSEV Bud 1/5 scales on angelfire. We run 11cc/.67 ci inboard marine nitro engines in the 1/8 scales that put out anywhere from 4-6hp on a dyno.
In order to "convert to shaft power" wouldn't the turbine need to be a twin shaft type turbine like the heli's, right??
Steve
Old 07-02-2002, 03:12 AM
CMG

You guy's may like to take a look at the Jetcat site, they have a turbine helicopter engine and gearbox system all ready for $4,595 !

JetCat turbines are FULL auto start from your radio TX, I have the aircraft version and its so cool and sweet to hear it start!

http://www.jetcatusa.com/heli.htm

Mark
Old 07-02-2002, 07:19 PM
tjay88

Hi Mark,
No good as this engine can't be run at its full power potential as mentioned previously. This engine is 'detuned' to keep the revs and strain on the drive train down.
I use a full autostart on my Wren with great sucess using the FADEC ECU and starts in 10 sec! Impressive stuff.

Regards,
Tony
Old 07-08-2002, 03:43 AM
javven

About the airscrew vs waterscrew Iwould like to point out a few things:

1. Your load is going to change QUITE a bit more than an aircraft's. You're going over water that's choppy (normally, at least a ripple, or your own wake). That means variable loads and vibration on the turbine / driveshaft. It's the equivalent of taking the drive system on that turboprop airplane and every now and then feeding a whole vegetable into it. NOT good on a daily basis mano...

2. You DO have the advantage of being able to carry GOBS of fuel vs a plane. I don't know about a hydro, but I've got 64oz fuel capacity in my Scarab KV 55". I normally don't use it except at fun-floats when it's out there all day with bystanders trying it out.

3. You're going to have to have somewhere to put all this heat. I'd even consider doing quad-pickup cooling. I'd also consider an onboard fire extinguishing system. I'm looking at ways to use a 3rd channel to accomplish this via a full dump from an ABC dry chem RV or small (full scale) boat model. Initial tests on a bench have been good (if messy - stupid fire retardant).

4. Note that turbines run hot enough to do the same thing a hot nitro engine will do. If you hit it with water (wave over the bow, etc) it may EXPLODE. Cold water + hot engine = potential for compressor deck to become a shrapnel generator. This shouldn't be a problem if you properly install the engine but be aware it can happen.

In general I STILL feel that compact turbines are TNT looking for a match. If you say "COOL! That's why I want one!" then by all means. Just build with safety in mind -