Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Nitro VS. Electric Boats?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Nitro VS. Electric Boats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Monster57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro VS. Electric Boats?

What do you guys prefer, nitro or electric boats? I am looking for a fun boat around 30-40 inches but do not know which to get, nitro or electric. I am new to boats, but not new to RC. I have little experience with planes and experience with nitro cars. Would a nitro boat be okay for a first boat? What are the pros and cons of nitro? What about electric? Thanks for the help.

Also, if you guys could recommend boats that's be great![8D]
Old 06-24-2006, 11:24 PM
e-sailpilot86

Default RE: Nitro VS. Electric Boats?

I'd prefer electric since there are typically fewer restrictions on where you can operate. Nitro/Electric things are somewhat obvious... electric = less fuss, nitro = more fuss. If you're just looking for a cruiser and nothing performance oriented, just go electric without too much thought into the electronics that go into it (they vary greatly). If you're going after something specifically performance oriented, then I'd say you need help making a choice... electric and nitro. I say go electric. I don't necessarily see an issue with getting nitro or electric as a first boat... just be prepared for what you get. Don't forget about gasoline boats, but you're looking at bigger $$$$. Oh, and sailboats... unless you get no wind.

Here's what I'd want:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXMDJ4**&P=0
it's brushless... meaning zero hassle with the motor. (hopefully)

Oh, BTW, you wanna build or just buy and run it? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-25-2006, 12:01 AM
Monster57

ORIGINAL: e-sailpilot86

Oh, BTW, you wanna build or just buy and run it? [sm=confused.gif]
Either is fine for me. I was leaning towards RTR as a first boat then building one, but either is fine. thanks.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:39 AM
wave waker

for me it's two different world nitro and electric, if u like hearing engine revving, smelling nitro, tuning, high maintenance, workin with miniature engine go for nitro, electric is less maintenance, neighbour friendly[sm=thumbup.gif] coz it a lot silent.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:01 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I prefer nitro, but as has been mentioned, running sites can be an issue. If you're thinking of running somewhere like a local park pond, electrics will meet less resistance.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You've already gotten some nitro experience but in the end, you are the one who has to be happy with your purchase.
It's a jungle out there with choices. Start off by narrowing it down to what powerplant that you want, then hull type. I'm kind of guessing but you might want a RTR boat for your first one to learn the basics on.
Look at the nitro and electric forums to get an idea of what's out there and how people like or dislike their boats.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:09 AM
LtDoc

Monster57,
This is sort of a re-hash of what's already been said, but from a different 'angle'.
When I started with boats I took a look at what was available, tried to decide which I like most. Lots of choices and I liked too many of them. Also got to looking at where I could sail here locally. That narrowed things down quite a bit. Found out that internal combustion engines for models were not allowed inside the city limits (sure remembered a bunch of them from when I was much younger!). And since I'd always had problems with small IC engines I decided to 'do' electric thingys instead. Several reasons for that, less mess, less expense cuz' no place to get supplies locally, no need for some of the type finishes required for any type 'fuel' craft, and I was comfortable with electrics having been around them for a long time (sort of). I've had RTR stuff but enjoy the building, so lean in that direction mostly.
Which is 'better'? Depends entirely on what you're after. If you enjoy the 'go fast' stuff, then electrics sort of come in third, kind of. If you like the 'scale' stuff, electrics are first, sort of. And if you're into sails, who cares!
If you're going to enjoy the hobby, get what you like, can afford (both money/time/ability), and something that can be used where you are. Whatever you decide on, nothing says you have to stick with it, right? Sort of like 'Fords / Chevys', but who on their right mind drives a 'Dodge'...
- 'Doc
Old 06-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Check your local city and park ordinances before buying an nitro or gas boat.
Ask the local hobby shop where people run these kinds of boats also.

Here, in the city of Portland, Oregon;
It is illegal to run an "internal combustion" powered model boat in any of the city parks.
It is punishable by up to a $500 fine.

[:'(]
Old 06-25-2006, 11:48 PM
e-sailpilot86

Hmm... here's a good question. Do you have a peak charger for battery packs of about 6 to 12 cells, or higher? I'd say that if you do have an easy time finding a consistant place to drive nitro, I'd say go with the nitro since it seems you've already got experience with nitro cars, and you probably have the know-how and the gear to get one running. If you're just getting started in electrics, you may need to buy a decent quality charger... which is anywhere from say $40-$130 on average. For me, I have to go electric since I've got no place to close enough to justify a glow motor. I also live a 1/4 mile away from a pretty decent lake, which only allows electrics.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:52 PM
e-sailpilot86

Hmm... here's a good question. Do you have a peak charger for battery packs of about 6 to 12 cells, or higher? I'd say that if you do have an easy time finding a consistant place to drive nitro, I'd say go with the nitro since it seems you've already got experience with nitro cars, and you probably have the know-how and the gear to get one running. If you're just getting started in electrics, you may need to buy a decent quality charger... which is anywhere from say $40-$130 on average. For me, I have to go electric since I've got no place to close enough to justify a glow motor. I also live a 1/4 mile away from a pretty decent lake, which only allows electrics.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Barrymartin

ORIGINAL: Monster57

What do you guys prefer, nitro or electric boats? I am looking for a fun boat around 30-40 inches but do not know which to get, nitro or electric. I am new to boats, but not new to RC. I have little experience with planes and experience with nitro cars. Would a nitro boat be okay for a first boat? What are the pros and cons of nitro? What about electric? Thanks for the help.

Also, if you guys could recommend boats that's be great![8D]
As you are new in rc boat, then electric boats would be the way to go. Nitro boat engines are generally high perofrmance, require high nitro fuel and are finicky to start and adjust.The great advantage of electric boats over nitro is reliability. A nitro boat may quit out in the water and you must be prepared to retrieve it some how. Electric boating, you have a good idea how long the battery lasts and you are able to retrieve your model at the place you launched it.