Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

12 cells too much?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

12 cells too much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Quicksilver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 cells too much?

ok, well today I traveled 100 miles to my "local" hobby shop lol, to get batteries. All they had wer 6 cell packs, I wanted an 8. Anyways heres the setup.

Villain IV hull
single trinity midnight 27 turn stock motor on direct drive
graupner jet drive
tekin marine esc 432M

Question is can the motor handle 12 cells? Previously I've only run as high as 7

I know the esc can handle 14 easily

I really dont want to run only 6 cells, but I cant find specs on these motors, also esc and motor are water-cooled

If its only ify, I've got a spare motor, but I dont really want to blow the boat up.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Quicksilver

Default RE: 12 cells too much?

oh and of course I mean 12 cells in series, 14.4 volts.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope. Your motor's endbell will melt in about a minute. 8 cells is the most a motor designed for 6 cells can tolerate and at 8 cells the brush and armature life is greatly reduced.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Quicksilver

thank you so much, I didnt think anyone was gonna reply, ok I'm gonna run 6 for now then, I was gonna splice those packs together tonite, thankyou for saving me a lot of money to say the least.......There are motors that can handle that though right? Any suggestions on a fairly inexpensive motor meant for high voltage?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:53 AM
LtDoc

quicksiler,
Take a look here;

http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/en_US/technic/index.html

It will tell you a lot about motors. (I'm sure there are other simular sites, I'm just not aware of them.) In a very general way all of that manufacturor specific information does carry over for other manufacturors motors. There are exceptions too, as in motors that are not exactly built in a 'standard' manner. Descriptive words like 'Turbo', 'Super', etc, etc, are sales department specs, not 'real world' stuff, have very little to do with actual performance (except for sales!!). There are 'higher performance' motors available but none of them are really associoated with 'cheap' in any way - lol. There's nothing really wrong with 'pushing' a motor unless you push it too far. Over-volting a motor is certainly possible. Going too far without adequate cooling is also possible, 'probable' is more like it though. And it's a fact that a motor can be pushed far enough that running Niagra Falls past it just isn't gonna cool it enough to keep the conductors from melting. It's sort of a 'viscious circle' thingy, everything affects everything else and the 'trick' is knowing when to quit (always quit before you think you have to).
Having said more than I intended, and more than you ever wanted to hear, I'll do that 'trick' thingy and quit.
- 'Doc
Old 08-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Kmot

quicksiler: Here is what I would do. Since you want to run 12 cells, get an E-Maxx motor, or a Villain EX motor. They bolt into the same place as a 540 motor (like your Trinity) and they thrive on 12 cells! They are also fan cooled so that helps with the heat department but you can always add a water cooling coil if you don't have one in your boat already.

Try it out and run only one minute then bring it back in and check the heat of the motor, the esc, and the batteries. If they are overheated, stop running. Get a smaller diameter/pitch prop, and try again for one minute. If you have no overheat in one minute, then try two, then three, etc. This will help you find the right combo of prop for your motor and voltage and you won't fry things in the process.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Quicksilver

ok that sounds like a solution, one tricky thing is I'm running a graupner jet-drive in the Villain, so I cant really mess with the prop(impeller), but I suppose I could still mess with the voltage once I get one of the above motors. I'm hopefully gonna do a test run tommorow, if I can get my steering servo mounted. I guess Ill go from there,

thank you both for your excellent advice
Old 08-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Kmot

Oh sorry. Didn't pay attention to the jet drive. I have no experience with those. My "guess" is, since it has a very small impeller compared to the normal boat props, it probably has a much lighter load on the motor.

Keep us posted!
Old 08-08-2006, 03:50 AM
phastkat

i run a trinity 19th chameleon pro 2 and i run it one 12 cells and i am stil on my first set of brushes all i have to do every couple runs is sand down the comm tog et off the build up otherwise it revs like crazy