Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Small not-so-fast boats

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Small not-so-fast boats

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 03:51 PM
RobStagis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small not-so-fast boats

Yo, stoker! I don't DO fast! My 'real' hobby is R/C sailboats, but my 'side' hobby is converting small plastic kits to R/C. You end up with a boat that's displayable (if the wife will let you) because they were designed as display models, after all.

THEN you hide the R/C guts - I've been able to use the kit props in all but one case (a Shell Welder tanker at 18" with a prop made up out of 5 pieces! sheesh). I made a tin-can prop for that one - no lathe...just me and some snips.

They're cute, cheap and fun...what more can you ask?
Old 01-25-2003, 01:17 AM
christopherspic

Default small, slow and looks good

Hey! Any pictures of these boats? What are you using to power them?
Old 01-26-2003, 12:14 PM
jamesr-RCU

Default miniships

Quite a popular hobby this side of the pond, know as miniships. Made few myself. Lindberg 's World War I US subchaser is a good start though I had to put the batteries underneath as it has such a small beam it was unstable. Ther are a few Chinese plastic kits, e.g Zhengdefu 's Hela Missile boat,, 13in and all inside and it moves at scale speed. Has to be minature equipment and small size Nimh batteries. Can convert servos to provide esc and motor but www.actionkit.co.uk have minature Rx, Esc, mixer for twin screw, motors, and steam sound all specially designed for mini ships. Great fun and no strain on the back putting in pond :-)) Wiil add pictures later
Old 01-27-2003, 01:51 PM
jamesr-RCU

Have pictures of Chinese missile boat but too large for reply. anyone interested email [email protected] and will send
Old 01-27-2003, 01:51 PM
RobStagis

I'm getting some pics soon. I haven't had any taken yet, but the 2 I've completed are ornaments on a piano at the moment. I like them - the Lindberg trawler shows a better turn of 'speed' than does the Lindberg tug. Venturing out past 10' from shore in a murky pond, though, requires some cojones . I sand, on its maiden voyage, the Shell Welder from Frog. Being early March, I wasn't up to retrieving it, and paid my 15-year-old son to get in the water. He got the hull (and electronics) but the superstructure was gone for good. My running boats use servos for power - thank you very much for that Action Elec. link. I'll be studying it!