Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Try Using Thicker Deck Seal ?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 AM
icemandan

Cananzi

the deck seal i using will give about 5 mm i picked it up from clark rubber see pic

as you can see from the pic the one on the lid round i think it is about a diameter of 5 - 6 mm and the other is flat cant remember what the size of it was all i know is they fit perfect in the slots and the don't leak at all i know this because before I attached the dude i was driving it down the river and it sat upside-down for at lest 15 min and me getting wet

I gave some to Jimi he should be able to give you the real measurements of the rubber

as for the third pic if you look at it it shows how high the lid sits on mine before the screws go in the lid
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89536.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	1604084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24968.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1604085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42567.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1604086  
Old 05-04-2011, 03:42 AM
itsfishi

man i just wrote this massive long post about this n that and it just went splat when i hit ok so farq

justin yeah go with the 40c for that setup for sure i had exact same thing and used 5000mah 20c and it got hot

yeah thats from radio waves, had remembered it when that guy posted about extending tail. i reckon its the way to go for less no bouce and holding an edge in turns etc. just gotta work out the size and angle i like for my setup.

jimi no river racing but i do wanna ride some bigger waves with this thing, get a little extreme so the speed might come in handy. biggest wave ever for rc surfer is the goal once i get her sorted. should be interesting lol.

i asked before but no response. whats the biggest wave anyone knows of rc getting?

iceman what flex and coupler and prop size are you using?
also the extendo trim tab tail thingy helps heaps with the torque barrel roll on takeoff etc.

cananzi 33mm thats massive, im seriously thinkin of going to 3s because the batts are smaller n cheaper can fit more mah an higher c rate batts
i get 30 odd mins from 6000mah 20c a 4000mah i assume would give 20mins but you got diff setup so may help you. the 4s are awesome though, should try em on your leopard motor lol.

later
Old 05-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Cananzi

Guys

I originally tryed thick deck seals on one of my boards but i found mine leaked . I might wait to see what the measurements are for the ones that you's are using and give them a go.where they neoprene??

I have ended up trying to lower the lipo tray now anyway and will be changing the shaft angle to bring the engine down lower so that i have the height at the coupler end. I measured and by the looks of it i should fit 150x50x37mm for the lipo which is going to open up alot more lipo options.

just hope that with a 4s 5000mah and a slow kv motor and the light weight of the NQD should equal a pretty good run time in theory

I cleared out the tray and the plastic block that the engine bolts to.. will be intresting :-)

Old 05-04-2011, 04:23 AM
icemandan

Get onto Jimi and he will be able to measure the stuff i have installed on mine and i away at work for like another 3 weeks

the rubber is neoprene but very dense and i put Dow Corning Number 4 on the rubber its makes the seal very good and keeps the rubber nice and soft

like i said i had my board sitting in the water upside down for a good 15min and i had Zero water in it and i don't put any foam squares to soak up water in my board as it is dry as a bone

Buy it here
Australia http://www.alliedbearings.com.au/sho.../compound-no-4
USA http://www.acilube.com/dowco4elinco.html

just copy my battery tray and motor mount they work a treat i have almost 40mm clearance lol Cut Cut Cut hehehe lok back at my old pics they will help if you need some diff angle let me know.
Just don't do what i did and put a bigger motor in
and with the flex shaft in my mod i have a small bend in the stuffing Box set up so the motor sits almost flat. which means heaps more room for your battery's

Fish

Flex drive is Octura .130 cable system for 1/8" and Prop is Octura x632 ( http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=oct-x632 ) this Prop Has some Major Pitch its a Beast.
Octura Coupler Flex Hex 1/8" to .130 Cable.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 AM
R a i n e r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way:
CONGRATULATION TO EVERYONE (especially to Jimi)====> 100 pages!!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 AM
itsfishi

iceman maybe that prop is so torquey that its making your coupler slip also wouldnt help run time maybe try x431 y431 x432 y432 thats what i been using and plenty enough.

cananzi that sounds like a great idea to lower the motor, will also help with righting getting the weight lower. if you can could be an idea to get the shaft on less downward angle. i reckon it would help reduce bounce. ive done away with the lipo tray, batt sits pretty much on the shaft and bottom of hull no probs. id recomend about 1800kv for 4s the 2300kv i got gets a little hot and the rpm is nuts. this is the one i been looking at
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6526

this is the one i got now and think it would be better suited to 3s
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6529

good luck with it all guys
Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

100 pages

98 pages are jimis ,and those were the best pages. hugh , my new best friend sent me these pics ,dam thing looks like spiderman . how does the song go , Spiderman, Spiderman friendly neighborhood Spiderman watch him leap from a ledge, watch out guys he is overhead, lookout here comes Spiderman john maui

Name:	Tr49215.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1604138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18711.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	1604139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10783.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1604140  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

dan

do you need all that prop , no wonder it does barral rolls when you hit the gas john maui
Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 AM
R a i n e r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Reminds me of the Silver Surfer.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Jimi Findrix

RC Surfers,
100 page monster blog.
No sign of dying anytime soon.
Awesome commitment crew.

Back to school / worktoday.

Sea ya.

JIMI Findrix
(Geraldton - West Oz)

Name:	Zx71887.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1604315  
Old 05-04-2011, 05:00 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Congrats to The Sport on 100
And To Jimi for The Most Posts ...

Don't Work too Hard !
It's always Summer Break On The Inside.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Justin-san

Maui THAT IS RAD!! It kinda looks like the Silver Surfer!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:44 AM
icemandan

Yeah its to much prop and to much motor it was kind of funny the first time in barrelled and the dam speed is crazy if you can stop it flipping but i think i going to change out both of them

Its just to much for my little surfer
Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 AM
Cananzi

hey guys

today i finished making the blocks for the engine to bolt too and got it all lined up perfect and glassed it in. I threw a motor in the battery tray because the can is 36mm in height and it clears under the foot peg bolt by about 2mm. I will do what you guys suggested and go a slightly bigger harder density bottom deck seal which should give me an extra few mm.

just gotta sand a few things and finish it off abit neater then ...success!!!...

might just order one 5000mah 4s lipo and a slower engine so i can start testing it. hopefully the motor being pretty much dead flat on the bottom of the hull and the lipo tray being very low it might self right really well.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:09 PM
itsfishi

Cana that sounds awesome can you post some pics when your done I might do it too. Bonus is good solid mount blocks.

Put anew trim tab on last night to test tomorrow .

Hopefully some nice waves around this weeken

later
Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Hughengland

Hugh's news from Maui:
I met John at the beach where he let me drive his rc surfer. We race "on road" together in Maui.
After 5 minutes of surfing his toy, I drove home and started shaping my frist rc surfer.
I just finished building my first rc surfer, used some help and measurements from John RC Hawaiian Surfer.
Tomorrow is launch day in the ocean - testing in hot tube did not count as a launch day - yes it was watertight.
I will post some pictures of build once I figure out how to post pictures.
Some pictures already appeared - carbon board & surfer dude.
Aloha, Hugh
Old 05-06-2011, 01:01 AM
itsfishi

looks sick hugh. if it surfs as good as it looks it will go off.

cana that much batt space is option central!!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:17 PM
jcrave

Hi, heres some footage of my homemade surfer, still needs some tweaking, but it's going well already...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOF5thxZHGc[/youtube]
Old 05-06-2011, 02:27 PM
skowowski

Congrats to everyone for reaching 100 pages! It did slow down a bit since Jimi entered semi retirement, but you got there.

Yeah there are some crazy idea floating around, and yes Cananzi I would be pulling out my hair

I gave up smoking just over three months ago and mixing that will constant onshore days with crappy surf, I basically lost interest in RC Surfing. I now go running/riding in the morning and do weights at nights...lame, maybe, but damn I feel good! Well winter is almost here so when the off shore days start up and the surf settles down (it has been rather big lately), I'll come out of retirement and head to the beach again, film my sessions and join in the discussions.

Until then all you rc surfing girlys, less talky, more cutty, gluey, bolty, sandy, glassy then testy and get your creations in the surf and on Vid for all to see!

Seb
Old 05-06-2011, 02:48 PM
itsfishi

congrats on quitting seb did so myself 3-4 months ago good to hear your still around cant wait for your next vid. was just checking some out last night. was on the dawn patrol this morn, and whos the girly, surfs too big eh.

cheers
Old 05-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Cananzi

seb

congratz on quiting the ciggys mate!!! i dont smoke but i know people that have managed to quit and they say the same thing ,that they feel 100 times better.

yeah its been pretty big surf laterly....i have been getting some really good proper surfs in but not much rc surfing.

the missus just brought a 550d dslr ,it shoots full HD video and takes amazing pictures....we have to tee up a session sometime and get her to film.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Justin-san

Looks good RCV the board turns well and you can keep it in the right spot!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:44 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Some Times It's Not Size (wave size) That Matters
It's All In The Technique ...

The Board Self Rights Quick.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:20 AM
jcrave

I also think it's going well, but i found it sinks the nose when i pull a cut back from the lip... Maybe some more rocker... Or weight balance, but it seems to be quite a bit to the rear end already.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.