Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:25 PM
jocktime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Quick
Old 02-18-2010, 11:42 PM
goggz

surfs up!!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:34 PM
jocktime

[link]
Old 03-10-2010, 03:02 AM
surfcurls
Banned

Hey Jock !

Cool Web Site !!!

As A Friendly Competitor, I Agree. The More RC Surfers In The Water, The Better For The Sport !

I Wish You Much Success With Your Products. I Know You Have Spent A Ton Of Your Time & $$$ Getting This Going.

John @ Surfcurls.com

www.surfcurls.com

Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 PM
jocktime

Hi John,
Old 03-11-2010, 02:32 AM
surfcurls
Banned

For The Product You Are Preparing To Sell, My Initial Guess On The Sales Price Would Be Some Where Around $1500 or More ...
Especially If You Plan To Fit It With The Etti Navy 150Amp W/ Bec, That Part Alone Sells For Almost $200 !
A Hand Shaped, Glassed And Air Brushed Board And Figure Is Gonna Take A Lot Of Time To Make,
Then Factor In Your Design And Test Time And There Is More Cost Before You Even Had A Prototype.
I Look At All These High Performance Rc Surfers That Can ACTUALLY Surf Real Ocean Waves With Top Performance,
And Compare Them To An Rc Airplane VS. An Rc Jet. And Those Jets Run $3000 +, And One Crash And They Are Toast.
The Surfer, Which Is In More Severe Conditions ( Salt Water And Swell) Will Out Last Any Jet Plane, And Minimal Parts Will It Keep It In The Water Forever.
The Days Of The $30 Shark Are Gone For Good, And They Will Never Compare To What You / Me Are Offering.

My Suggestion Is To Price It Where You Have To, To Continue Your Business ! The One Thing I Have Found Over
The Years With Rc Surfer Companies Is That Most Of Them Eventually Closed, Probably Due To Lack Of Profit
And Then The Rc Surfer Community Suffered With No Product Support ...

Your Product Is Going To Be Very Unique In The Marketplace.

John
Surfcurls.com
Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 AM
RC Surfer

IF YOU MAKE IT BULLET PROOF AND SELL IT FOR $350 RETAIL IT MIGHT GO. I disagree with john, there was a fare amount of profit in the RC Surfer and Lisa the fact is the product leaked and failed after the first run, thats NO FUN!!! so it got a bad start and a bad rep.!!! Would like to meet up in San Clemente I live 3 Miles away and my batterys are charged and ready!
later BB
Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 PM
goggz

I reakon keep it realistic in price ie.. 1000us + for a unpainted surfer fully modded... they will sell! maybe slowly till ya get on ya feet... and get a idea on what ya going to do..

Ive shaped two boards so far and have glassed one, even taken fiberglass molds.. of the board shark.. there's a hell of alot of work involed and i havnt even brought running gear for them yet..

Customer service is a big one! and surfcurls has it in the bag!
For what ive / my missus have had is 200% great service
ive been looking at surfers at other sites for a while their products are abit cheaper but the customer service just isnt there.. No service no buying!!
If it wasnt for john at surfcurls we wouldnt be rc surfing and i look forward to the package ive ordered..
cheers
Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 PM
jocktime

John is great and has done a lot for the sport.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:15 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Reply To Logan & Michelle, Jock & Billy,

Thanks For The Kind Words, Yes, I Trully Feel Customer Service Is Key !
Hey, Don't Forget, We Are All On The Same Team, As RC Surfers, We Are A New Breed Of Radio Control Sport People (World Wide)
And I Think It's The Most Awesome RC Hobby Around, Outside Of An Rc Robot Doing My Laundry, Vaccum, And Cooking My Meals...
We All Know This Hobby / Sport Is Gonna Grow Large.

Logan, We Are Boxing Your Surfer Now, And He Ripped And Tested Extremely Well. We Performed Cooling, Tub And Run Tests,
No Water, No Heat, And Ran FAST ! It Should Be Delivered To You In A Few Days, Plus It Has Been A Pleasure Building A Board For You !

Jock, I Really Appreciate Your Confidence And Trust In Me, And I Consider You A Good Friend / Fellow Builder, And Feel You Too Have Done A Lot For The Sport,
With Your Awesome Video's And New Designs, I Still Say 1500 With 60 Day Warranty, But At 350, I Will Buy As Many As You Can Make !!!

Billy, You Are The Rc Surfer Guru (Bow) And I Totally Respect Your Words Of Wisdom, As You Were At The Start Of This Whole RC Surfer Phenomenon
With Ed ( Surfrider), Jason (Kyosho). You Totally Have My Ear With Any Disagreement To My Opinions, But At 350, That Only Takes The Electrics Into Cost
Considerations, And Hand Shaping, Glassing And Air Brushing A 36" Board, That Will Be Bullet Proof (Knowing What Jock Produces) Is Gonna Cost More.
I Don't Think Jock Has A CNC Machine, But If He Needs One, I Have Connections On North Shore Oahu, Just A Rock Away. RC Surfer Connections Grow By The Day !

Lets All Keep The Focus, And Keep It Real, Keep It Growing For All Our Good...

Bradda John - Surfcurls
Old 03-12-2010, 12:52 PM
RC Surfer

Thanks John,
Well Jason is the real guru, I'm just an old guy thats been into modeling for 55 or so years. So I've seen things come and go. I really LIKE what jock is doing and I REALY like his surf dude, that is true art! Wished I lived in the Islands and had a cnc machine! thats HUGE help!!! A few years ago I was trained (do to a work accident) in Auto Cad 3D drafting and know what CNC is all about, I'd take john up on his offer. As far as my $350.00 market price would be keeping it real to start, ( as sujested above) RC surfing contests, Clubs, sanctions, business, after market business (RC Surfer, Rc Surfing, Bad Billys, Surf RC, Surfcurls, etc.) and Sport RC Surfing. Just because you new people (thats not a put down, gota start somewhere) think the lack of support is the cos failure of RC surfing is not justified. It just simple failed do to the lack of intrest, mechanical ability and Radio control limitations (so far). Well I guess what I'm trying to say is COMMERCIALY you're giong to need a huge bank roll and MARKETING campain and well, lets just say Kyosho FAILED and it has those things. Now as and RC enthusiast and surfer, I can see the $1000 + price tage and since I modify RC Surfers so they DO work in the surf, I understand the hours and money it takes to make one right! There's just a handfull of us that love it enought to keep it going. 10 years and counting. This has got me reved-up, think I'll peek my batterys and hit the surf, It's a beautiful day here in socal, gota go!

Later BB
P.S. Didn't someone post they were goin to be in San Clemente or did I dream that?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:09 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Billy,

Glad We Charged Your Personal Battery, And reved You Up ! Your Not Old, Just Experienced, And That Takes Years To Accomplish The Wisdom You Provide !

I'm Sure All Of Us Here, That Are Dedicated To Continue To Grow The Sport As You Have, Want To Hear Whatever You Have To Offer ...

You Have Helped Lay The RC Surfer Foundation, And We Are All Here To Help Hoist The Walls, To Build This House.

Thank You For Your Responses, And Please Continue To Add Your Wisdom And That Will Help Us All Build This Surfer House.

Surfers For Surfers, This Is A Special Crew For Sure ....

Brotherhood Contests / Events Sound Awesome.

John

Old 03-16-2010, 06:26 PM
RC Surfer

Woa Big Guy. Contests? Maybe we should try and have a sun-n-surf, BBQ type fun day. Try to get a hand full of RC Surfers together would be a feat in its self, But would be cool to do! Gota go, I'll post some more about Contest pros and cons trying to get RC Surfing started.
Later BB
Old 03-16-2010, 06:41 PM
surfcurls
Banned

I Like The BBQ - Sun And RC Surf Idea Over A Contest Anyday !

I Think We Are All Into It For The Rush We Personally Get, When We Pull Off Some Cool Manuvers,
Or Make A Tough Section.

So Your In San Clemente ?
Near T Street Or The State Park ?

That Would Be Cool If We Could All Get Camping Tickets (State Park) , And Spend A Long Weekend, Or Other.

Just A Thought, As I Grew Up Walking Into Cottons Point And Upper's To Surf From San Clemente,
And I Know That Area A Bit. Haven't been there in Years

August ????

Anyone Else Here Have Some Interest In A BBQ Weekend ?

John
Old 03-25-2010, 05:12 AM
surfcurls
Banned

Ok, I Purchased The "How To Build An RC Surfer From Scratch" DVD, From Jock & John.

I Changed My Mind On The Price, After Watching The DVD, And Seaing More Of What It Takes To Build Their Surfer,

I'll Go Up To $1900 Or More, Nuff Said ...

If Anyone Thinks Thats Too Much. Then Buy The Video From Jock & John
And Then Decide. My Wife Said $2500 (She Watched The DVD Too ) , But I Know The Retail Market Isn't There Yet !

Lots Of Work, Tons Of Stoke. Island Style, This Board Could Rip Jaws At 50 Foot Faces For Sure ....
This is An Extreme Board, And These Maui Boys Took RC Surfing To The Max.

Great Work Jock And John

Mahalo Nui Loa

John @ Surfcurls
Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Jimi Findrix

Anybody using XT Pro Mod RC Surfer from Surfcurls?
How well do they really perform in 3' - 6'surf?
How do they compare to other modified shredders?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 AM
RC Surfer

Jimi
With RC surfing its more "Hobby" than "Plug-in and play", takes a machanical minded-Problem solving person to excel and keep his gear running. Biggest thing would be customer support and I've heard nothing but good about Surfcurls, a friend ordered motor and esc for his "Lisa" board from them and it had speed and ran cool with decent run times.As far as RC Surfers I would rate them as fallows:

#1 Kyosho RC Surfer or RC Surfer Tubey
#2 Kyosho Lisa
#3 Any China lisa
#4 Board Shark

If you are Looking For a Kyosho RC Surfer with all the board mods; heavyduty steerig linkage, unbreakable rudder, Dual coolin ports and cooling fins, flex drive, Heaveyduty motor mount, motor coupler, deans antena, waterproof on/off switch, waterproof deck and rudder hatch, 3 part polyurethane painted board, painted dude surfer, without Electrics. I have one.
Hope this Helps.
Later BB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40710.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	1412332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31750.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1412333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97525.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1412334  
Old 04-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Jimi Findrix

Hey BB,
Thanks for the info.
Your board looks great, how much?
I have been surfing for 32 years but never RC surfed before,
John is building me a board at the moment.
I am freakin. about what i have stumbelled into here.
No RC surfers where I come from.
The boys are gonna be trippin' when they see this.
Talk again soon.
Jimi
Old 04-05-2010, 04:54 PM
goggz

Cool you'l be stoked with it
i got a XT off john about 3wks ago it ripps fast super fun!! 1st thing is throw in sponges for the possible water leakages and it pays to sillicone the bottom antnenna gromit so ya carnt see it and do sum thing to the rudder linkage seal BEFORE you hit the waves i got bit of water in side in small 1/4 a foot swells the sponges saved the day .. as BB said takes a bit of problem solving to excel in this hobby im looking at changing the rudder try get it sitting level at full steam! good luck with ya surfer bro, hope these tips help ya out.. be good to hear how ya make out
Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Jimi Findrix

Thanks  Goggz,
With no knowledge in RC of any kind I think I am in for a steep learning curve.
I am reading as much as I can about this stuff because I am already so addiced and I have not even got my first board yet.
I am stoked to be dealing with John he is obviously a legend in this sick scene.
After what I have read so far, I am  very paranoid about getting any water in my expensive little board.
I am also interested in Ideas that will help my XT Pro go better and withstand the situations I intend to put it in.
As you would probably know, West Oz has some powerful surf and I don't want to kill my surfer.
I will watch the video that comes with my board and talk to John about any problems I have or modifications I will  wnt to try.
I'm so glad I found this forum because I have been Emailing John for days and just bombing him, so now I have a few other shredders to learn from also.

So Freakin' Stoked.
I'll be back.

Jimi
Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 AM
surfcurls
Banned

Thanks For All Da Kine Words...

From Billy, Jimi & Goggz.

As Billy Said, It's All About Support, And Thats What We Pride Ourselves In.
It's A Stoke For Us To Pass The Stoke Along.

Goggz, Glad You are Enjoying Your Board !

Jimi, No Prob With The Emails, We are Here To Help You,
And We Are All Stoked To Get You Into RC Surfing.

BUT, Billy Is The Legend Guy In This Room, I Am Still Learning More Every Day
Even After A Few Strong Years At It.

Lets All Keep The Stoke

John @ Surfcurls
Old 04-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Jimi Findrix

Keep the stoke.
I am trippin'.
Found some Lisa's.
I want to modify one myself.
John will help.
I need to know what and how and how much $.
Jimi  
Old 04-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Jimi Findrix

Hey guys,
I've been thinkin' bout the water that inevitably sometimes gets in.
The idea of sponge sounds cool but I had an idea.
You know that crazy guy on the tv who does the "Sham Wow" ads?
That stuff sucks up water to the max.
Has anyone tried using it instead of sponge?
Can you get this product easily where you be rippin?
Let me know if this is a plausible idea.
Jimi
Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jimi Findrix

Hey guys,
I've been thinkin' bout the water that inevitably sometimes gets in.
The idea of sponge sounds cool but I had an idea.
You know that crazy guy on the tv who does the ''Sham Wow'' ads?
That stuff sucks up water to the max.
Has anyone tried using it instead of sponge?
Can you get this product easily where you be rippin?
Let me know if this is a plausible idea.
Jimi
Seen guys sticking tampons into the radio box. No question they soak up plenty of water - may not be real cool/macho looking - but neither is your model going out of control.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:48 AM
goggz

I would of never thought of that one.. i like using the old classic sponge.. can cut custom to fit and find matching colours to ya suit ya engine or baloon.. ive got the water issue down pat took a few heavy wipe outs tonight..not a single drop in side.. stoked!! it rode very well got sum nice "off the top" turns in to the bowl.. Ill be happy to try up 3ft in size after ive stiffen the dude with unidirctional carbon.. tho i could try my luck using viagara
We have the asp dream tour in town next week, I should get a lisa and enter her as the wild card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.