Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 221 of 311 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,525 of 7767

Thread: RC Surfer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RC Surfer

ok thanks tripper for the ideas. I will get more of the 4000mah packs once I get her running right. Im only slapping the 2848 3900kv motor in because I have one just laying around. Other then that I have a few spare tacon 2858 2630kv motors but i think these would be a little bit long to fit under the canopy.

Whats the best motor and prop combo for these things while using 3s lipos. I also have 4s lipos but i think these would be to quick for it.

Itsafishi has run one of his on a 4s and it humms along but i think its far to quick to be practical.

Tripper can we set brake with the hk300 to make the motor slow down slowly with a boat esc? I can do it with my car though.

SO keen to get this project under way. Pretty sure my surfer was shipped today.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: stalyoni

Tripper can we set brake with the hk300 to make the motor slow down slowly with a boat esc? I can do it with my car though.
    If the ESChas reverse and brake function, yeah, no probs with the HK300.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hugh..........sounds like we are going to see some great rcSurfing from Maui...........at 10ft.......you should be surfing it yourself....
    Try to take some video..........I much prefer seeing the boards 'in action'

TGF - most of the time I wish I had 'more speed' for a barrel. The Y whind motors create resistance on the prop when you come of the throttle, which may help you wanting to stall. The D whind motors free run off the throttle.
    To check if it is Y - spin the motor shaft by hand - then - hold the three motor wire plugs together - if you feel a greater resistance it is a Y whind.

Stalyoni I run one of my boards that has the 3900kv motor on 7.4v (2s) with a 27mm prop.......it really runs great....I found the 3s develops to much RPM.

This video will give you a perspective of the speed and acceleration.....it goes just as well in the surf........the board needs to be UNDER 2kg's

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaWktPTxQxg[/youtube]

Bro ********

Bro rc Surfer

" freely sharing the STOKE ! "

Bro's RCU Custom Post : CLICK - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...om-boards.html
    YouTube Page : CLICK - http://www.youtube.com/user/formulaish
    facebook page: CLICK - https://www.facebook.com/Bro********

​'SEA - ING is BELIEV - ING'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah mine has both, i will just have to mess around with it

what would be a better motor then the 2848 3900?

also did you mean you have the throttled limited to 80% otherwise the prop cavitates?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YPC - When I'm talking about stalling, I mean driving off the bottom into the pocket, stalling (brake or reverse) hard to wash off almost all the speed, thenaccelerating and driving through the barrel. Just letting motor resistance slow the board down will not have the desired affect of a proper stall. The wave I surf on the ledge really needs this kind of action to be surfed properly. I want to try this angle because I want to surf the RC exactly the same way I approach my own surfing.

stalyoni - yeah mate, limited to 80% TC other wise the prop cavitates, board slows and I can only imagine what damage those kind of vibes will do to the drive line.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You all must be so happy right now in Maui...I know how it feels to get in a good session after sooooo long! Congratulations! The boards look good and the action looks great..

The photos look great...do you share the camera and take turns? Having someone to go out and surf/photo with makes us loners in the World all a little jealous.

Thanks for sharing.

Hugh Your new board looks great, and from the photos Surfs even better...Good work!

Barrels, the Channel Island 'Skinny Fish' works great but there are a couple more shapes I want to try and I want to remake my Firewire "Dominator'

Good thing that the 'Diva Chariot was built for two...I get 4 runs in and then I get a little worried about water through the prop stuffing tube...no water, just worried...nicer to just switch Surfers than do maintenance Beach side.

With a spare in the truck...just in case I'll be set for a full day! I am so wiped out after a dozen batteries...can't imagine doing more, besides the sheer number of photos to look through would be staggering.

I can only imagine how much attention the 'Diva not in the water will be getting...going to have to take more cards to the beach with me...maybe a self serve dispenser ...no one is going to believe that I am not selling them

The three Amigas...Melika,Nikki,and Tina will all be happy to have their own boards.

I shaped my version of a Rusty Dwart this past weekend...here we are yesterday taking a UV bath...just love UV cure resin...

#19...Year 2 Board 1

Melika is done and ready to ride...just need to put in another 40 hours into the board.With some hard work this week...we might hit the water mid next week....

I believe that building custom RC Surfers and their Boards is a disease with no know cure...

Like tying your own Fly's and catching fish Fly Fishing...catching a nice wave on a thrown away piece of foam, a thrown away wave no one wanted, with one's own imagination and effort...is a rush that will be hard to give up.

TCP Totally agree with the 65C Lipos...mine are barely warm to the touch after running them hard! The 40C batteries would just get hot and puffy. So happy I spent a little extra money this time.

Maui John, That board looks great with those red rails...looks like there is a great space for some art work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Howzit TGF - I get your point - I dont think the marine ESC/motor reverse combos can brake suddenly and snap into reverse...........its more of a slow sequence of events.....from what I have researched.

When we raced Jet skis, we had a tab fitted at the end of the ride plate ( like a hoe) that when actuated, would suck the hull into the water - like a hand brake - it was simple and worked great. that may be an option to consider. Come to think of it..........its almost like a surfer stepping on the tail to stall the board for a moment.....

In my years of rc F1 boat designing and racing - I have designed many various features - power trim - vertical trim - ballast CG trim - camber- etc etc ............it all just gets to be to much to set up, maintain and manage, especially when racing it.

I think even more so for the rc Surfer......simplicity has to be the theme.....I barely find time to think straight when ridding a decent wave.....let alone what to actuate/when.....LOL

I am going to spend some time playing with rudder/fin shapes and designs.......I reckon much can still be achieved in this area.....

Take care....

Bro ********

Bro rc Surfer

Bro's RCU Custom Post : CLICK - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...om-boards.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Howzit Guys........

Since my Fin comparison Video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuUZnFtLU-w a few guys have mailed me wanting to see how the fins compare 'n the surf' - Authentic Fin as apposed to the Bi Fin

I have colored the Authentic fin 'lumo orange' and the Bi-Fin is 'black' so that it will be easier to identify the fins in the surf video's.

I have 'only' surfed the Bi-Fin on this board so far - so all the past video's are with the Bi Fin.....I will use the Authentic Fin in the next few sessions to see what differences we can spot.

Bro ********
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu62041.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	1802678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz79140.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	1802679  

Bro rc Surfer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hugh will attempt using Photobucket for posting clearer pictures - at John's request
    Surf today was very minimal
    - Kimos servo mount broke free - now fixed
    - Shiela's motor would not behave properly - tested fine 2 days ago...need to fix
    - Tanned Titah worked great
    - Titah's yellow Vee bottom was over propped and I do not like the board's shape - not enough nose or nose rocker.
    Here are some pictures of todays session with John, Jock & Hugh.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hugh

Nice Photos...Photobucket makes all the difference in the world!

Great Team photo...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have had some swell here in Socal lately...with the Hurley Pro going on I thought I would check out Imperial Beach...The Tijuana Sloughs actually...5-7 foot out of the South figured it was going to be good.

Got up early and charged up the batteries and headed out 730ish...had the tread on my back tire blow clean off at highway speeds! Scared the heck out of me I thought it was my transmission or worse...tire still held air so I was able to limp off the freeway and find a place that sold used tires...new ones are way to expensive these days.

Anyways it put me back a few hours, got to the beach at 11and the tide was almost high...not the best but what the heck!

Here are some photos of that session:

It was pretty big...the biggest Nikki has seen for a while.

The fish ran great once I got the settings right on my new radio...last one got wet...pooof!

Plenty of time for play...

Big waves= Big air!

Pretty clean conditions...the surface that is! The water is never very clean in this part of San Diego. Although maybe the IB Chamber of Commerce wants copies of these photos..the water looks pretty inviting.

Only ran two batteries...missing Trestles prefect waves I guess.

Later this evening I went out to WindanSea, been a while since we surfed there.

conditions were ok...lots of Surfers in the water!

Luckly, the waves were reforming on the inside off to the South...perfect for us to play and stay out of the way...

Met a photographer that asked to take some watershots with his GoPro...Heck Yea!

Here we are charging right at him...hopefully he will share some of the images/video with us.

Most of the Surfers are ok with it all...there are a couple of hot heads that think they own the place and just give grief...one even spelled his name to me a few weeks back...'My name is Lee...L...E...E...' being a wise guy I had to ask if there was another way to spell that? Now I just laugh....

As all ways the 'Divas attract a crowd of new fans...

They thought it was extra fun when Nikki lost her head in the shorepound...poor Nikki, she is all banged up:
    broke both her legs, both her arms, broken ribs, busted hip, and now lost her head! We haven't even made it to 100batteries yet!

Tomorrow, I think I will use it as a build day, repair Nikki and make some more progress on the Rusty board.

Next week Trestles or bust!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So i got my venom bondi surfer girl today. I have to say out of the box I was impressed. I charged up the nicad and went down the beach and got nadda out of her. I threw her into the water and had no throttle response at all. I finally scooped her up out of the water and got my pants and phone wet in the process. Spent the last 5 hours drying out my phone and luckily it works.

But as for the surfer girl I was very disappointed. I think it was due to the very poor 27mhz fm signal that it comes stock with. The motor actually surprised how much power it had but never got to see it go in the water. Before I took it out I made sure I sealed up everything that was going to get water in it. It was out in the water for a good few minutes and took a pounding and no one drop of water was in it, only in my phone (:-

I think my esc and some other parts turn up tommorow so i will strip her out and see if I can put that 3900kv brushless motor into it.

By the looks of it tripper its the same as a NQD but it comes with that fancy bi fin rudder system stock. Also has some fancy servo setup but I will take all that out.

How did you hook up your new motor to the old system? Does it have a small collett or something?

Anyways I will get her stripped down soon and see how I can mod her.

BTW My tail i think looks a bit different to yours have a look and tell me please.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp43682.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	1803093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk29476.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	1803094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl19966.jpg 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	1803095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wp41156.jpg 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	1803096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dp83800.jpg 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	1803097  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ne55898.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	1803098  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Howzit Guys.....its so great to 'sea' ......rcSurfing 'happening' flat out across the globe.

Hugh....you have a family of rc surfers....great shots......is that one of MJ's older boards ?

The nose rocker is all important........I am having my blank blocks 'made up' to be 80mm thick ,to be able to create the required nose rocker. I have also opted for a 'denser foam' for added strength all round.

Kite .....nice size surf.....good crowd....sorry about your Diva losing her head.....its a 'girl' thing....LOL

I managed a Quick session late yesterday afternoon 'in between' Jessie - Kates dance classes.

The single fin is certainly faster and more responsive - although - the board is lighter on the water and less stable to a degree by comparison to the Bi Fin......its a tough call.....I guess it boils down to surfer preference....perhaps learning to make the right call, depending on the surf conditions.....as I suggested in the flat water test video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leOj0dHwXgo[/youtube]

Bro ********

Bro rc Surfer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Styloni......'disappointed' seems to be the 'theme' for production boards..

-that could have been a 'very expensive' Bondi -rc surfer girl......well done on sorting the phone out....just watch it over the next few days....sometimes the salt corrosion inevitably gets the better of it. Hopefully you are insured.

As with all the 'production boards' - it seems like only the board - rudder - and perhaps the surfer, has 'some' use..... I have no doubt that if you intently research all the upgrades that others have figured out for those boards over the many years and kindly recorded them within the 200 pages plus of this tread....AND.. spend a few extra $'s and much time upgrading it -you will realize great pleasure from it......

Keep us posted..

Bro ********

Bro rc Surfer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

stalyoni, the Venom is identical to the NQD. I busted the bi-fin first grounding on the reef, I made my own fin out of 6mm perspex, 450 main shaft and a 4mm SS bolt. Drilled and tapped the shaft, cut the head off the bolt, some bearing retainer to fix the bolt in.

The NQD board leaked, so I split it and epoxied it back together.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To fit the 3900kv motor I made an adapter plate to attach it to the existing plate and I used the stock brass hex bushing of the motor shaft.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how did you get the stock brass fitting off the shaft?

I just pulled mine all apart and I see what you mean. The stock motor plate wont work so I might make one out of a wooden coaster (ive made firewalls for my planes this way).

Once you pull everything out of it theres a fair bit of room to work with. Mounting the servo and esc wont be to hard but mounting and coupling the motor will be the hardest part. Not sure if i will fit my zippy 3s 4000mah in the i think there 25 high. Will be tight if they do.

I will take it to dads soon and see if he cant get that little brass fitting off the shaft and make a motor mount. Once we get the motor mounted then the rest is easy. Looks like they give you a spare prop in the box.

Im glad its a direct clone of the nqd lisa one.

Trippers thanks so much for all your help mate. Do you think if we went to a smaller prop then it wouldnt cavitate at 100%?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so whats the best way to remove that little brass hex nut?

i guess i need to buy a pinion puller or is there some other way to do it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I tried a 450 size pinion puller, would'nt budge. Iput in a vice and hammered the motor out of the pinion, figured I'd never be using the motor again anyway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi all
    does anyone know where to get a male surfer not lisa.
    Just got mine out of the loft and its all there. So going to get it wet in the surf
    will

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks so much for the advice tripper. We dont have a vice but im sure dad will come up with something.

Then was it push fit onto the new motor or did you have to drill it out a bit to fit or did it just push on? Did you use locktite or something to keep it on there or epoxy it on there?

thanks tripper

looks like im buying a joysway super surge crusher to compete with my apparition twin for dad, hahahahhahaha. Ill run it on 6s and blow him out of the water.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: willhappy

hi all
    does anyone know where to get a male surfer not lisa.
    Just got mine out of the loft and its all there. So going to get it wet in the surf
    will
    http://www.rcsurfrider.com/

then click on products/store and you will find a male rider there but he is expensive at $75 which is $4 less than i payed for the whole thing.

hope this helps anyways

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stayloni .....this might sound 'strange' .....but it works ...try placing the motor 'IN THE FREEZER' over night. The freezing temperature will shrink the steel shaft more than the brass - it should just slip off in the morning........Let me know if you try it.

Share the STOKE
    Bro ********

Bro rc Surfer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think I had to drill it a smidge. I then drilled and tapped for a 3mm set screw, put a flat spot on the motor shaft and then bearing retainer for extra piece of mind.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks guys so much for all your help.

I just chucked the motor in the freezer and ill see if it will slip off in the morning. I wont be using this motor again so it doesnt matter.

I just need my dads brains as he is very cluey about these sorts of things.

thanks

Brendon.