Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 PM
stalyoni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

well i finally took my rc surfer out in the water but only after a short run the SL2848 3900kv motor overheated and so did the esc. The esc is a hobbyking 190-200amp and should be fine. The motor has a water jacket on it and uses the stock water cooling inlets.

So what can I do? Is the 11.1v 4000mah zippy lipo I have too powerful for it? Do I need to step down to a 2s lipo? Im using the stock 27mm prop, do I need a bigger prop?

Or do I need to order the extra fin cooling system?

At least it was water tight and very little water got inside. I think it only got up the shaft and that was it.

Any help here would be great guys.

Oh I broke a rubber band when it was getting hammered on the shore but I have some for prop savers on my planes so one of them should fit.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Hughengland

Dom, finally we get to see you ripping in REAL waves.
Big, clean & fast - rc surfers dream
You & your surfer rips - I especially like your wave 3:10 thru 3:18.
Your wife does real well with camera following your little rocket ship.
Hawaii is suposed to get big surf Sunday & Monday (Sat evening still small)
My toys are ready.......

Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

dom

killer sesion ,, great video job ,, bro man is ariper

maui john
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

stalyoni

i think you have high kv 3900 is realy high with a 200 amp ESC and 3 cell lipo makes heat ,, a 2 cell will help some ,, maybe turn down the ESC,and run the smallest prop you have ,, the thing must be a rocketship ,, some of the other guys will have some good ideas,, make sure you have good water flow

maui john
Old 09-22-2012, 10:14 PM
trippergreenfeet

Stalyoni, replace the stock water inlets with brass tube. Drill out the old ones, epoxy the brass in and you'll be good to go.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:42 AM
YPC

Thanks Hugh & MJ for the 'rating !'.....it was a fun session......

Hugh.....definitely.....the bigger 'the better'.....more face...more speed ....more moves !
Unfortunately, the sets were mostly 'closing out'.....but we eeked out a few good rides. Beach breaks are all over the show.
I am going to get onto some of our reefs in the near future.

I am really happy with Bro's overall performance and durability...... nothing has broken and no water intrusion.......so far.

We surfed at about 80m's (240 ft) out yesterday, with good TX. My eyes took serious strain ridding at the distance with poor light. I'm going to find out if a can have a pair of 'long distance' specs made up.....

Hey......really hope the SWELL pulls into Maui !........its been a LONG LULL.......I always enjoy the Maui Boyz footage....

We have a wet day today.....tomorrow is promising bigger surf......we'll SEA !

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21874.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1803926  
Old 09-23-2012, 02:40 AM
stalyoni

ORIGINAL: trippergreenfeet

Stalyoni, replace the stock water inlets with brass tube. Drill out the old ones, epoxy the brass in and you'll be good to go.

ok tripper. Im sure i can get them at my local hobby shop but there expensive. Actually I think we have a spare brass tube in our spare parts so I will try and cut this in half and use this. I have also ordered a servo reverser as the steering was in reverse and I kept steering for the shore. Made for a difficult time as it was in reverse to what my boats usually steer.

Thanks again for the help tripper and I will get the brass tubes in as soon as I can and report back. Our summer is coming up here soon so I want to get it sorted as soon as possible.

below is a pic of my current setup

Name:	Mk27633.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1803931  
Old 09-23-2012, 02:52 AM
YPC

Stayloni..............

Your problem may not be the pick ups......looking at your posted picture - its your 'set up'

YOU NEED to COOL YOUR ESC....!!!!!!!! you are sure to blow it running it without water cooling. When you reroute the water system - lead the water cooling pipes to the ESC FIRST - then to the motor .......always feed the motor water supply at the low nipple - feeding to the high niple to prevent a air pocket within the water jacket.

Seriously ! take the time to read through this thread..... I've read it 3 times......it will save you a small fortune and ensure you some good rides - INFORMATION IS KEY TO SUCCESS !

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Om33147.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1803936  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Hughengland

Sunday Paia Bay, Maui. Loaded up with 3 different boards
Finally some good surf,heavy 4-8ft shore break with side shore windz.
No one to take pictures.
Ran 9 battery packs. Had some unreal rides & heavy wipeouts!

Damage report: all now under repair for Monday am session
Silver Surfer - broke front leg, smashed in side rail
Kimo Vee bottom - broke both legs
Tita - bottom deck holed when coconut husk fiber wrapped prop & thrashed bottom.

Back out in 1 hour for evening session with new Vee bottom & Tita.

Name:	Wu59895.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	1804218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21110.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	1804219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64750.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1804220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44270.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1804221  
Old 09-23-2012, 06:51 PM
kitekook

Hugh

Surf sounds mean....I think it's on it's way here Mon eve/Tue morning Horseshoes predicting 7-10 ft....I better be careful!

Glad you have backups when carnige hits.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 PM
YPC

Ouch !.............4 - 8 ft 'shore-break - must have made for some hair raising face rides...

Hey ! ..........my stock of polyurethane foam was delivered this morning.....

I had the blocks made up specifically to 80mm (3 1/4") thick to be able to accommodate the nose rocker.
I also opted to go for a denser foam which will make the board even stronger - standard Surfboard foam has a 35 kg/cubic M density - this foam has a 80kg/cubic M density.
Its feels great for shaping and will certainly offer better strength all round.

I could even realise 'TWO' blanks from a block.......time to start SHAPING !!!!!!!!!

Hoping to grab a afternoon session....Hope you have a Great session Hugh.....break a leg !.......

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Vt56499.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1804318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39357.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1804319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37337.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1804320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55854.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1804321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95826.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1804322  
Old 09-24-2012, 01:03 AM
stalyoni

So I went up to dads this afternoon and we drilled out the stock water cooling and also added another two pipes. The tubing we used it allot bigger as well. I forgot but dad had a length of brass tubing as his house. Theres a loop for the motor and a loop for the esc.

I had to replace the esc and ubec as the old ones overheated and burn out. Lesson learned. I thought as it was a 200amp esc it would stay cool as I dont think the amp draw from this system would be all the much but I guess I was wrong.

Anyways I just have to epoxy in the tubes now and I will ca the other ends of the tubes onto the brass to stop it from coming off.

I also need to replace one of the bands that keeps the surfer to the board.

Heres a few pictures of my current setup. Im slowly getting there.

Name:	Fd90695.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1804367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78550.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1804368  
Old 09-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Hughengland

Dom, I like your higher density foam blanks - maybe that's what I should be using instead of styro.

Evening session was a good one used my new Tita Vee bottom (picture below).
Tide was lower and waves slightly smaller at 3-6ft.
Lots of waves, quite difficult getting out thru the white water but great rides & wipeouts
Used 4 batteries - did not break anything this session.

All reapirs done and truck loaded for Monday am session.

Name:	Rp42821.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1804373  
Old 09-24-2012, 04:10 AM
bearcave

YPC... Bro is takeing big punishment feel good you made a strong dude and board... bit of Black Sabbath on the last vid sweet reckon Ozzy would approve too!.. and yeh learning how to ride/drive the rc surfer is part of the fun hey......thanks for the video cam info.

Hughengland... There was a New Zealand Rally car driver who used to say "until you roll it how do you know how fast you can go round a corner"
His nicknamewas "possum". Some say many things of how he got that name but in reality it was because he was always in the tree's.. lol.
Anywayplease keep poundingyour surfers...Possum Vaughn was a legend in group1 rally who pushed the boundries of what works and whatdoesn't.

stalyoni.. all the best with your surfer.. you are advanceing very quickly. I have been running very similar system of your current watercooling setup for many years now it works good....btw apart from the tips you will get from this forum now, do what like YPC says, its all in the past posts... and listen to your dad, i think he knows a lot....
Old 09-24-2012, 04:47 AM
trippergreenfeet

ORIGINAL: bearcave

There was a New Zealand Rally car driver who used to say "until you roll it how do you know how fast you can go round a corner"
His nicknamewas "possum". Some say many things of how he got that name but in reality it was because he was always in the tree's.. lol.
Anywayplease keep poundingyour surfers...Possum Vaughn was a legend in group1 rally who pushed the boundries of what works and whatdoesn't.
I heard that saying straight from Possum himself, as we were hurtling around a corner at 160kph. Iwent for a drive with him many years ago at a rally in Sth Oz when Iwas a young fella, scared the living crap outta me while it was going down, when the drive was over Icouldn't wait to go a second round. It's amazing at how fast those top rally drivers can throw a car into a corner and come out the other side.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:48 AM
trippergreenfeet

Now this is what we need for the RC Surfer, a scaled down WaveJet.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM
YPC

Howzit Hugh ! .......

Yeah...the denser foam can only make it 'stronger'....also easier to shape ( less flex)

Good to hear that you are getting a few good sessions in -AND- sounds like the Vee is working...looking forward to some Maui footage.

We were expecting some 'bigger' surf today - but - it turned our to be oily 1-2 ft face......always fun never the less.....always entertaining for the folk on the beach....
It was a Public Holiday in SA to-day.....Heritage day.....I only figured that this morning........LOL

To-days surf video ...Heritage Day ( family day) on the beach....
Some mellow 1-2 ft waves - very short session.( 1 pack).....swell dropped right off the edge.......
My youngest daughter ......Cassidy -Ray....just loves Bro..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbW1c4kgJaY[/youtube]

This is surf Video # 18 - of this board.

When we launched our website, we decided that we would film and publish all the surf sessions we have through the months of August and September - to give interested folk a good overview of what rcSurfing in SA offers in the various surf conditions..... Its has also been a good 'test' of the boards overall ability to endure the surf conditions. By video #20 ( Sept month end) - that will be a total of roughly 20 hours of surfing - with no issues......I'm happy with that.

Have a great week all !

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Hughengland

Monday surf on Mauis North Shore still big at 15ft at Hookipa (shot with rainbow) and smaller 3 miles down the coast in +6ft Paia Bay (shot with folks on beach).

Kimo Vee bottom jumps featured today:

Old 09-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Hughengland

Silver Surfer 36" also got wet - a friend took pictures with my Cannon but none of actual wave riding - guess he liked the jumps......

Old 09-24-2012, 11:27 PM
YPC

Howzit Hugh.......its awesome to 'sea' you ....back on the beach.

Paia Bay looks like a great rcSurf spot .........nice face size and seemingly close to shore...... our local beach breaks 'clean face' waves can be out some distance when rolling in any decent size, which makes it really hard on my eyes to see that far, to get a good perspective on the ride.

You V seems to be handling well..............how are you finding the comparisons ?

Its funny.......most folk seem to be 'more impressed' with the JUMPING ......rather than the ridding of the wave....... although most surfers appreciate the little guys ridding abaility, even envy it at times.....LOL

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 09-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Hughengland

Yes Paia bay is good spot on Maui North Shore coz it is only consistent spot that has size near beach, lots of cute chicks & rc surfers get pushed towards the beach, if there are breakdowns or lost connections.
The waves are beach break type (with some shore break) but very powerful with thick lips - my other Maui rc sufing buddies don't like it coz the waves are all over the place & the toys take a thrashing
I must put more effort into getting some videos going........this rc surfing is just too much fun.
Ran total of 12 batteries today using 3 models: Silver Surfer, Tita keel and kimo Vee bottom
Damage control: stripped out 2 each Traxis waterproof servos today - from now on I am only going to buy & use the best HiTec HV Digital waterproof high torque Servos.
All charged up & ready for another session Tuesday

Vee verses keel:
Still need to use both types lots more.
Vees seems to spin out more during high speed sharp turns & trip on nose (maybe my minimal nosed Vee boards)
BUT Vee surf unreal, has minimal water resistance (travels ontop of the water rather than thru the water and gives me more of a real surfboard feel; as opposed to a 'boat feeling' that keel bottoms still gives me.
My next experiment may be a new 32" to 34" longer FLAT bottom board - with not too much vee......
SOoooooo much to do..............

Old 09-25-2012, 01:41 AM
YPC

Howzit Hugh....that wave does look ......GNARLEY !......definitely taking rcSurfing to the next level in that surf.....I would love to see some video footgae of you charging that stuff.

Like you...I love the fast and furious stuff.....just cant find it available to ride to often. Most brakes like that will have a good few hyped, weekend surfing 'wave starved' surfers, fighting over it.......let alone a little Bro ******** pulling and and ripping it apart - that would piss some of them off.....LOL....they may even need counselling.....LOL

What is wrecking your servo's ?......Im using the standard micro 3kg all metal gear with out any issues so far. It may be that the Bi-Fin takes less of a hammering than the single fins face/leverage ! If you consider the design difference, the Bi-Fin has less leverage effect around the pivot pin, so it will not have the same big impact effect a single fin will have, when landing sideways or having a wave breaking on it.
You should try a bi-fin on your boads.....it really works 'just that much better. In my Bro - Charging Face video....on one wave you can see how it holds the board on the face, even as the wave is seriously barreling over and closing out.

I found the same results as you mention with the V bottom. They are certainly quicker and do have 'more of a lean' making the ride more authentic - but - do tend to be less stable in tight, off the bottom turns .....sliding out more.

I have still tried to maintain some of the surfer lean by designing the peripheral shape of my current board differently, compared to the common symmetrical lines of a modern surfboard. all in....I am happy with this one.

More 'stability' can also be achieved by a even wider board....but then.....it rides seriously flat.....very 2D.........very boat like......point and go look and feel.

For my current builds, I will be sticking with the latest size and shape....most of the folk are happy with its overall look and performance.
I have a very exiting offer on the table at the moment that will push Bro's exposure nationally....!!!!!..one 'wave' at a time...........

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 09-25-2012, 02:26 AM
bearcave

Trippergreenfeet. Been thinkin a jet maywork inan rc surfer too... a few have tried it but thatjet setupputs another dimensionto it hmm...

Sidewayswith possum at 160k's awesome man that would have been better than sex.. even with a supermodel....ok well for some maybe not but yeh those guys are just soat another level ...such a shame some tool goin the wrong way on a rally track tookpossum out... Subaru lost one of their best drivers that day....and yeh it is just amazeing how fast they can go on dirtin 'almost' total control.

Ifanyone else out there likes fast cars on dirt check out "Climb Dance" on the youtube..... A short movie about 5mins long showing a very special rally driver doin the Pikes Peak hill climb in a very special Peugot.. or was it a Renault... anyway it was before they put tar all overthe track... and a few gaurd rails....
Old 09-25-2012, 05:45 AM
bearcave

YPC.... Cassidy-Ray may not like the waves butcertainly like's her lttle bro hey haha!.... Lookin good YPC gunna re-check your new site again soon... btw includeing Neil Young on vid #18 and Black Sabbath on #17 with only two more to go for this board.. i'm keen to see where you gobefore end September to makethe full20!

Hughengland.... The earth moves slowly but the oxen are patient...... btw Kimo V bottom paint and shape looks awesome in the air...
Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 AM
YPC

Howzit Bearcave...........my late Dad would always tell that if God created anything better than SEX......He kept it for himself.......my folks were 'very happily' married for over 50 years...6 kids later.....LOL - I often still ask my Mom for a few pointers to spice things up- but - she reckons I'm still to young to be told....LOL

Guys !..........lets start working on/sharing some - specific's with regards to maneuvers.

The barrel ride will always be the elusive 10/10 ride - but not always available. There are so many other great surfing maneuvers and styles that we can work towards/design our boards and fins to better pull them off. I am getting the hang of a few nice moves, when the waves lip lends itself or when there is enough face.
I reckon it would be nice for all if we focused on various moves - shared our approach - how we set up our board- how we execute the maneuver on the wave.......

Who's in ? this is one of my favorite moves.....kind of get to pull them off quite often.....if you keep the rudder locked in a turn when powering through the lip - the board will land back to front which can be cool if you get to turn it around - BUT - it can also spoil the execution.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgb-aOhlrUQ[/youtube]

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.